Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep quiet about the 30 minute interval "distress call" noises. Probably whale farts. Maybe somebody on one of the nearby boats banging the door on the head. Or mishieviously tapping out an S-O-S...

So, report nothing until it is called, except maybe the initial sound of the implosion.

I just ran across some astonishing info. There has been much talk about the forces involved in an implosion at the depth of failure. I've been unable to understand what kind of forces we are talking about when a catastrophic implosion occurs.

According to an article in US Naval Institute Proceedings Magazine, USS Thresher imploded at a calculated depth of 2400ft with a force equivalent to 22,500 pounds of TNT. That would be 1.125KT. The Hiroshima weapon was estimated at 15KT. Tactical nukes can be in the sub 1KT range. W25 is reported to be 1.7KT.

I understood that we're talking about huge pressure, but I didn't realize the violent nature of the actual event.

That's my question too.

They didn't hear it after the mayday call but hours earlier. They must have know it was the sub after they got the call as soon as they got the call.
What Camaron said made the most sense. You look for stuff at the last know position. Dropping sonar bouy and doing that 'search' for what?
The minute I heard about the missing sub and saw that carbon tube I thought it must have imploded and wondered whether a loud bang had been picked up. Why didn't they report that they heard it. It's weird.
SOSUS is a secret network.

First rule of fight club...

Again a collection of numbers with little physical meaning.
An explosion is characterised by the energy released, measured in J.
A ton of TNT means 4184 GJ (GigaJoules). Or a Giga-Calorie...
The energy released by an implosion is simply p×V.
Pressure at 4000m is roughly 400×10^5 Pa. Volume was around 10 m3.

So the energy released is 4000×10^5 J which equates to 95 kg of TNT.

Just came across this video by a popular Youtuber:
Mostly personal observations but it humanizes the tragedy and illustrates the technical and weather-related obstacles that OceanGate was facing. More interesting content starts around 12:00.

SOSUS is a secret network.

First rule of fight club...

The existence has been declassified for 30 years now. The exact capabilities remain secret but we already know it can detect submarine accidents hundreds of miles away is within the capabilities of arrays.

Again a collection of numbers with little meaning.
An explosion is characterised by the energy released, measured in J.
A ton of TNT means 4184 GJ (GigaJoules).
The energy released by an implosiin is simply p×v.
Pressure at 4000m is roughly 400×10^5 Pa. Volume was around 10 m3.

So the energy released is 4000×10^5 J which equates to 95 kg of TNT.
Again, a collection of numbers conveying little information able to allow a subjective understanding of the forces involved. C'mon Angelo, you can be more helpful than that.

My brain can roughly process J, m, m³, Pa but is completely lost when it has to think in lbs, feet, pounds...
It's time for the colonies to adopt the metric system.
:cool:

My brain can roughly process J, m, m³, Pa but is completely lost when it has to think in lbs, feet, pounds...
It's time for the colonies to adopt the metric system.
:cool:
But as a naturalized US citizen, I did laugh when I first heard that "inches, feet and pounds are measurements only used in countries that have put people on the moon...."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom