Titanium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL:
dangerously combustible titanium regulators

Yes, under the right conditions, Ti is combustible. Do you really think that room temperature, or cooler, and wet, is the right conditions to make Ti burn?

If you do, just remember that that airplane you flew on yesterday may very well have Ti Fan Blades in the engine . . . . (hot, high pressure air anyone?)

Have a nice day!

Ken

If they'll make it in Titanium I'll probably buy it.
Regs, knives, watches and computers got 'em all.
The difference in cost between Titanium and SS isn't enough for me to even look at.
Especially when Ti products hold up so well. Atomics T2 doesn't need a service for 2 years compared with other regs 1 year service requirement.
So other than price is there any reason NOT to buy Ti?

The Russians have done some amazing things with Ti. I would not put it past them to make tanks. Their research vessels used to carry huge stores of Ti in bar form and they had a machine shop that could make almost anything out of it. I know a guy who lost his iron crowbar and told the Chief Engineer about lossing it. The Chief had him make a sketch of it and the next moring suprised him in the passageway with a new crowbar. The Chief handed it to him and when he took it he almost out it through the overhead, because it was so light. Believe it or not, a Titanium crowbar!

titanium...have a dive knife and shears made from it. regs don't think I need it. My luck 2 grand in reg and backup would be stolen out of car at the store. So cheap and reliable is a bonus to me. Perhaps when Ti regs become more common and drop the price I might buy one but until the price drops below $800.
Dive knife and shears...you can't pay me enough for them. I've had them in salt water and still have a good edge. I also sharpen them both about once a year but even that's a polish on the edge. I did break a small chip in the edge of the dive knife while trying to pry open a rusted can I found while diving. No big alittle time with my sharpening set and voila great edge. shaving quality edge....trust me.

Who makes a great titanium dive knife? I've been looking at the Ocean Master. Anyone ever used it or have any comments about it?

I have a Ocean Master Beta Titanium Knife and I like it. I've used it a couple of times and it seems fine. It has a nice double latch, which I guess will help prevent it from getting lost, but I did manage to hook it on a boat while doing a back roll recently and it came out. I suspect the latch wasn't properly secured. Something I'll keep an eye on in the future.

Thanks. I had a CRKT dive knife that rusted almost instantly after a dive. I've been looking for a good titanium knife to take it's place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom