to buddy check or not

do you do a thorough buddycheck before EVERY dive?

• yes, i do

Votes: 44 62.9%
  • no, i skip that sometimes

Votes: 26 37.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sheck33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was wondering about something i havent seen a thread/poll
on (or maybe there is and i missed it)

How many of you divers out there actually perform a thorough buddycheck before a dive and know where what is located on your divebuddy? Are you more thorough when diving deeper?
are you more thorough when diving with a new buddy?

we all know it should be done but do we?:confused:

be honest ;-)

Hmmm, I voted "sometimes" - I always check out all of my buddy's gear and ask where their knife, octo, weights, etc are, but I usually have to go out of my way to show them where my stuff is. Little things like "hey, I'm diving a long hose - expect to get the regulator from my mouth in an OOA". So I check them, but they rarely check me :( Hopefully no-one removes my backplate thinking they're dumping my weightbelt one day...

Airchecks are ALWAYS done. This however hasn't stopped a buddy turning my tank OFF because he assumed that my valve must have worked differently to his because it was screwing the other way when he tried to turn it! I found that one out while standing in the surf test breathing my reg before going under. Now I make a point of not letting anyone touch my tank valve after I turn it on, and I always do a breathing test on the surface before submerging.

I always do... but last time I showed up solo at the dive boat I got paired up with the guy who always talks too much and thinks he has to brag about all the places he's dove, you the kind, an idiot! Well I went to check out his rig before we hit the water and he had forgotten to turn on his air=-) plus his weights weren't attached right on his weight intergrated bc. I can always tell because they talk more as you get closer to getting in(meaning he's getting nervous) and his hands are slightly shaking, but of course he thinks he's in control:D ...

Especially if I show up at the dive boat solo. You've all read the stories about buddies getting sued when something goes wrong, haven't you?!? There was a death here in Guam recently that probably would have been prevented if his buddy (who could've been a stranger) had checked his air supply......

It's kinda scary when the other guy just kind of looks at me funny when I start explaining where all my stuff is & what I'll do if we get seperated..... A lot of poeple don't do buddy checks!

more often with someone other than my wife. The wife is my normal buddy and I always check her gear over and over. New buddies I am not so worried about, I just look quickly to know what kind of gear they have.

Rich :mean:

My regular buddies and I use rigs that are largely (and in all safety related aspects) DIR configurations. Our equipment is in the same place on each rig, with very little variation.

We tell each other whenever we make a change to the rig (if for no other reason than to show off the new gear). Our separation/recovery procedures are dealt with during the planning stages and again on the boat. We also put our names on our lift bags so that we can be identified by people on the surface, if necessary.

We never touch each other's valves unless specifically asked. We do, however, individually confirm that the wings and drysuits are connected before we leave the boat. We also perform regulator checks on the surface and may perform quick S drills at the start or end of the dive.

I always do a full predive check when I dive with a new buddy. If they won't take the time to do it, I politely tell them that it is my policy. I remind them that (1) I am not familiar with their rig; and (2) I have a rig that departs from the PADI norm and that they might actually want to know how to get air if they need it; and (3) poo poo occurs.

We also review separation procedures, communication signals and dive plan.

After a couple of really bad experiences with buddies who refused to do predive checks and who dove as a "same ocean" team, I will find a new buddy, join another buddy group or call the dive if my new friend refuses to play nice. I'd rather have them p(**( off than dive with an unsafe diver.:upset:

I always do a check. If my buddy dosn't like it, I dive alone. I still do check with people that I've been diving with for a while. Complacency kills.

How about adding one for "almost never"?

The handful of people I dive with regually we do a "you ready? yea" buddy check. When I dive with someone new I'm cool with any kind of buddy check they want to do, but they do have to speak up. When I'm diving with someone who recently did OW or hasn't been diving inwhile, I'm watching them very closely. Buddy checks are one of those things I never got in the habit of doing. If there's something unusual I think needs addressed I'll speak up, like when one guy I normally dive with shows up with an Azimuth "ok, what do I need to know about that?".

I Always Check my Buddies gear.
Although I dive redundemt with a pony I want to make sure my Buddy is not going to be screaming at me cause there kit breaks or they run out of Air.

Also as an Instructor I like ot set an example for my students and fellow divers. It only takes one stuff up to kill you !!

Cheers
Chris
PADI MSDT
http://homepage.mac.com/sydney_diver

OK, so the cautious types are answering this poll, but I really suspect that the majority are just not answering because they know there is no good defense for negligence.

Why art.chick so suspicious? Because every time I meet a new buddy, they seem surprised that I am checking them. They seem a little annoyed as I SHOW them all my stuff because they dont seem curious. Some long-time buddies act like, "didn't you do that LAST month with me?" as if it is just an annoying exercise.

Last dive trip I made, my just-met buddy was low on air before starting the dive (2500psi in an AL 80). I pointed it out, & he seemed unconcerned. Fortunatley, he recalled where I showed him my Octo was; it came in handy.

The people who say, "why can't diving just be fun" never think an OOA can happen to them, but when it does, it sure teaches u to put "fun" & "cautious" in the same thought bubble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom