to check or carry on a plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What does everyone carry on instead of checking it. I would hate to make a connection ,,like to Bonaire and find out things got lost or better yet stolen,,,,since we can't lock our bags anymore. I know I will carry my computer because it is so small,but what else???

all my uw camera equipment goes on with ME!! and my lap top computer, just got a new one!! i figure there is right at $5000 in the camera box , and i could replace almost all of the othere stuff for less then that so that is it. though it is all depp insured

laserdoc:
What does everyone carry on instead of checking it. I would hate to make a connection ,,like to Bonaire and find out things got lost or better yet stolen,,,,since we can't lock our bags anymore. I know I will carry my computer because it is so small,but what else???

I make of my diving life-support system carry-on. I use a rolling suitcase that is just under the airline limit for the size of a carry-on bag.

I pack the following in that carry-on bag:

BC
Dive Computer
Regulator
Mask & snorkel (prescription mask)
C-Cards
Passports and other travel documents & reservation confirmations/information
Medications (if any)

The fins, wet suits, dive booties and other miscellaneous items are packed in the checked luggage.

My daughter will also be diving starting this summer so her carry-on will contain the same items.

My wife does not dive so her rolling carry-on holds food, cameras, reading materials and other miscellaneous items.

My reasoning is that I don't want to trust my life to rental life support equipment. If my other bags get lost I can always rent booties, fins and a wet suit.

I have not run into any problems using this method. I have had the carry-on bags hand searched a few times but nothing more than that.

I am considering looking into insurance for my dive gear. Even after getting insurance I would still pack everything the same way.

jim ernst:
all my uw camera equipment goes on with ME!! and my lap top computer, just got a new one!! i figure there is right at $5000 in the camera box , and i could replace almost all of the othere stuff for less then that so that is it. though it is all depp insured
What is depp insured??

Being lazy, if I check any bag, then I'll put everything I don't plan on using during the flight into checked luggage. I used to carryon my prescription mask, but have decided that I'm more likely to bang it around and break it in my carryon that if it is properly packed and protected in my checked luggage. Just pack your bag so things will survive a drop of 4 or 5 feet.

I ignore those that blather on about "it's your life support equipment!!!!".

I do carry on a keys for cars/houses, medicines, a bathing suit, a cert card; and most importantly, a credit card. Everything else can be rented or bought.

laserdoc:
What is depp insured??
hey doc, how are ya, well to answer your question, DEPP, (divers equipment protection plan) is in my opinion the very best insurence that we divers can get on our eqipment, they are awsome and they are inexpensive, i have about $7-8000 in equipment on my plan with them and it only cost me $189 a year, and it makes no differance what happens, wether the item is stolen,burned, dropped, what ever they replace it or they send you a check, how ever you prefer, thier web is http://www.awryinc.com if you would like to check them out. well worth having

jim ernst:
hey doc, how are ya, well to answer your question, DEPP, (divers equipment protection plan) is in my opinion the very best insurence that we divers can get on our eqipment, they are awsome and they are inexpensive, i have about $7-8000 in equipment on my plan with them and it only cost me $189 a year, and it makes no differance what happens, wether the item is stolen,burned, dropped, what ever they replace it or they send you a check, how ever you prefer, thier web is www.depp.com if you would like to check them out. well worth having

Thanks Jim

jim ernst:
hey doc, how are ya, well to answer your question, DEPP, (divers equipment protection plan) is in my opinion the very best insurence that we divers can get on our eqipment, they are awsome and they are inexpensive, i have about $7-8000 in equipment on my plan with them and it only cost me $189 a year, and it makes no differance what happens, wether the item is stolen,burned, dropped, what ever they replace it or they send you a check, how ever you prefer, thier web is www.depp.com if you would like to check them out. well worth having

Jim, When was the last time you looked at the depp web site?????? I justed looked and it is a condo for rent in Brekenridge Co. Snow sking?/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom