To TTL or not and what is the strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobf:
for a list of strobes compatible with heinrichs~weikamp technology, follow this link:

http://www.heinrichsweikamp.net/blitz/indexe.htm

then click on the Supported Strobes link found in the column on the left side of the web page...........

hth,
b

Does mike-dive use the same Heinrichs Weikamp adapter? I thought they had their own.. one that you don't need to replace the pt-023 bulkhead. Am I wrong? Hope not :)

can't say for sure, but If you go to mike-dive.de site:

http://www.mike-dive.de/

and click on the link that says TTL-Konverter, you'll find this statement:

Der von Matthias Heinrichs entwickelte OLY-TTL Konverter .........

Which includes a link to Matthias's web site, which does have an English version.

If you follow this link:

http://translate.google.com/transla...q=mike+fingers+mike-dive+pt+23&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

you'll find this passage, translation by Google:

Michael finger alias mike dive.de makes housing PT-023 a TTL Luxussuite for the C-8080 from the everyday Olympus -. First he exchanges the vierpolige and perhaps abort-endangered Olympus - lightning socket against a five-pin stable Nikonos - socket. Then he installs one of Matthias Heinrichs conceived Oly TTL - for converters (into the camera lightning shoe one pushes!!), with which one preferably TTL blitzbelichten with all Sea & Sea flash appartuses to the C-8080 can......

So if what we are reading is an accurate translation, then I would say that the HeinrichsWeikamp site would offer a list of compatible strobes for Mike Finger's version of the product..........

btw, Mike Finger does speak English. A quick email asking him to confirm prior to purchase would be prudent. Matthias Heinrich and Christian Weikamp are also fluent in English......they may also be able to confirm.

regards,
b

kapula:
I'm looking to buy a ttl converter from mike-dive as I don't need to replace pt-023 bulkhead. So I won't be able to break my housing :) As c-8080 has problems focusing in low light conditions I'm getting one with a focus light. Did you find a list of supported strobes from mike-dive? My german isn't good enough or they didn't have a list available on their website. Now I'm leaning towards inon z-240 for it's high power/guide number, fast recycling time and guide light. There's also sea&sea ys110 that meets my requirements. Other than those (maybe inon z-220 but it's discontinued) I haven't quite found any goodies. Have you tried digital Diver (http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php) to compare different strobes? If you come up with a solution please let me know since we both have same system and both are looking for a strobe.
Cheers!

Please keep me informed as I am looking for the same solution.

I installed the Heinrichs TTL bulkhead to use dual Ikelite 125s for my Oly C-8080 in an Olympus housing. It worked very nicely for me. I found the output to be a bit high for my taste but overall it worked nicely. I was actually pleasantly surprised after using a strobe exclusively on manual for 400+ dives prior, to get such good results. The only limitation that TTL poses is that it chooses the exposure it "thinks" is right and this limits your creativity. You can always alter your lighting by moving your strobes around but this is less scientific than being able to quantify the output on your strobes by dialing them up or down.

Now, I am learning how to use my Oly E330 with dual Ikelite 125s and I am having a heck of a time getting into the "zone" of proper exposure on manual. The few times I went into TTL and let the camera and strobes decide the exposure, I had better results than when I was doing it myself :( . I hope this is due to the fact that I am slowly hiking up the steepest part of my learning curve :) . It is nice to switch into TTL and get a decent photo of a cool critter to take home amongst all the other botched photos taken while fiddling with strobe placement, f-stops, shutterspeeds, and strobe controllers in manual.

HTH
Nick

Ok Here's an update. I've been mailing back and forth with Christian Weikamp (who btw is very helpful and does indeed speak fluent english). Mike-dive has their own solution for pt-023 ttl but it seems that neither Weikamp or mike-dive has such a solution that allows pt-023 to operate with inon strobes without replacing the original bulkhead. I don't want to take my beloved housing apart :( Sigh.. on the other hand Christian pointed out that I could send my housing to mike-dive and mr Finger would replace it for me. He even has a tank to pressure test the housing afterwards. I also mailed digital-dive.de and had the same answer. They could do the replacing for me if I'd just send my housing there. I sent an e-mail if they can pressure test it aswell. This was only a few hours ago so I haven't got an answer yet.
I know I could replace the bulkhead by myself but since I ain't able to dive before xmas I wouldn't like to find it out then.
I'll keep you guys informed...

Kapula
I can understand your concern about dismantaling your housing for the first time.
I want the focus light as well as I feel that is one of the bigest problems with the 8080.
I am dropping hints for xmas presents and I will just have to wait and see what happens.

Divervision was very quick to reply that they indeed have came up with a solution to wire inon strobes to olympus bulkhead with ttl functionality. They also pointed out that one of their customers has posted that to a number of sites. Including scubaboard as it seems :)

Digital-dive also replied that they can pressure test my housing if I was to send it there. Now it seems that the cheapest way to get ttl is to go divervisions way. Has anyone done business with them? It's a whole new company for me. They also have the strobe that I'm after but since it's outside eu I need to pay taxes.

To be continued :)

Things started moving fast. Divervision has all the bits and pieces I'm looking to buy and they made me an offer for that stuff. They also have all those items in stock and they'd be shipped to me in a week. Haven't pressed the buy button yet but their price seems compatible and etc. Their ttl-solution is cheapest by far and doesn't require bulkhead manipulation. Now it's time to sit down and think if I'm about to give them my credit card number and check the taxes I need to pay. I could order this stuff from Germany but then I'd need to ship my housing there to get that darn bulkhead replaced.

Hope this monologue helped (or amuzed :)) someone.
Victor: Let me know which solution did you end up with.
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom