tobacco chew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The leafy stuff like Redman goes in the side of your cheek by your back teeth. It poses no great choke threat if you're used to it.

I used to dip and chew years ago. As Gedunk said, it's tough to get the snuff monkey off your back. With Redman I would spit couple of times right after I put it in. The rest of it would just swallow..besides after it's been in your mouth for a bit, it doesn't generate that much spit if you are used to the stuff.

As far as it giving you a "buzz"... maybe if you are new to it or don't do it much, but if you do it regularly, there is no buzz...just pure dee chewin' satisfaction. :D
When I first started, it used to make me dizzy, but that went away after I got used to it.

Hell, I've even fallen asleep in bed with a dip in my mouth before. I would swallow the spit in my sleep and then as the dip got weaker, I would just swallow the dip. No muss no fuss and you wake up in the morning all fresh mouthed and satisfied! :D

Hey, I'm a Texan..you know how we are... :wink:

Yeah, it's a habit I'm glad I finally kicked.

The main reason I can think of not to do it while diving would be this: Nicotine, if I'm not mistaken, hinders the offgassing process and could increase your DCS risk. At least is does when its taken in the form of smoking I don't know if its the same for chewing. Is it the nicotine itself that hinders the offgassing or is it the taking of nicotine through the lungs that hinders the offgassing? Interesting question. Perhaps we should get some of the diving medical professionals in on this one.

wedivebc:
Tonight a student of mine told me he chews tobacco while diving. Other than being less than impressed that he uses a rental reg, I can't come up with a good reason why he shouldn't. Must be a choking hazard or something.
Any opinions on this?

cheers,

I'll never rent a regulator, ever.

There are chew ads at the top of this page! :D

What a hoot! I wonder how long those non-tobacco chew folks were lurking the scubaboard waiting for this topic to pop up so they could plug their products! :D

While chewing tobacco has never been part of my culture, I have known Scadinavians that use "snuss" while diving. That stuff is very finly ground tobacco and sometimes even comes in tiny teabag thingies to stop it sticking in your teeth. I never saw any of them choke, though the thought crossed my mind. Doing it with a rental reg though is kinda like peeing in a rental wetsuit . Just plain rude.

Zagnut:
There are chew ads at the top of this page! :D

That is funny!

I can figure out what "chew" is, I think, but can someone help out here -- what's "dip" ? Ohh, and how does either of those compare to...."snuff" (I think....what scandinavians call "Snus"). Yes, I promise that I'll take that evening-college course in "redneck" soon.... :)

Enlighten this non-snuffer/chewer/dipper a tad, please :)

Snuff if finely cut tobacco which comes in a can. Dipping is what you do with it.

Chewing tobacco is what comes in the bags or pouches and is what people do when that can't handle dipping. Chew also tends to be very sweet tasting where snuff is tabacco tasting. Teabags, sugar or other add'ins have no place in tobacco! Don't even get me started on Chery flavored tobacco. Thats only for softdrinks and cough drops.

I've used Copenhagen "Snuff" as long as I can remember. You don't put it in your cheek you put it between your lip and gums. No one dips or chews to get buzzed. This only happens to people who are lern'en or pretending. Now I have gone to the long cut snuff cuz it packs better and stays fresher/moist longer.

Now I don't dive with it on purpose but I have forgotten from time to time. I do own my reg. I have eaten with it as well as fell asleep from time to time as well.

I once read someplace that somkeless tobacco has 6 times the nicotine than a pack of smokes do.

Thanks GeekDiver for your explanation. I'm originally from the country of Copenhagen, although I've never used the stuff myself.

Do tell, though, the "teabags" and the "chewing tobacco"...how do you do with it. Litterally "chew" it, as you would with another scandinavian pride (Stimorol chewing gum)? I imagine that would shread a teabag relatively quickly, unless it was made out of kevlar....

I'm getting more and more glad that I own my own reg's :)

GeekDiver:
I once read someplace that somkeless tobacco has 6 times the nicotine than a pack of smokes do.

Geek, quit now buddy. You can't imagine how much better you will feel with that monkey off your back.

Take it from someone who knows. :wink:

You don't actualy chew the teabags, it just sits there and the nicotine is absorbed through the gums. They came up with this as a way to keep it from getting in-between your teeth. The problem is the bags arn't big enough.

I've tried to stop but I havn't been sucessful. Part of this is because I don't have a real reason to quit. I did quit back in my younger days. That was one of the hardest few hours of my life. Joking of course, I did stop for a year once, can't remember why I picked it back up. Just thinking about quiting now makes me jittery and nervous.

Back
Top Bottom