Tobago, diving, crime

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know this is off topic but - just remember to not go to Bonaire - the crime it way to bad!!!!!

I was there in the last year and had no problems at all with any sort of crime. Everyone was friendly and hospitable. I would go back any time and plan on doing so in the next couple of years.

I am reminded of my trip to St. Croix where I was warned about a machette attack that had happened several years earlier. I was having 2nd thoughts until someone pointed out that the crime rate (and murder rate) is miniscule compared to LA or New York. We'll I live by and travel to LA all the time so I didn't give it a second thought and off I went. I had a great time too!

Thanks for the info.

As to Bonaire, I was there in Nov '08 and had no issues at all. The other couple we were with has been there at least one other occasion and speak highly of the island.

DL

crime happens most places. understand that in less-developed countries/areas you do stick out as a rich American tourist, and behave accordingly. I have lived and travelled much of the world always bearing this in mind. I dress way down, wear no watch, carry little $, etc whenever possible. No Jones's there to keep up with!

I have been living in T&T for the last year, working. Most of the crime here is local on local mostly around drugs and gangs. I live in Trinidad and visit Tobago from time to time. Tobago is totally safe, the main reason is because the depend on tourist to maintain the economy and they don't want to get a bad rap as being dangerous. Trinidad on the other hand is driven by oil and gas and there are certain part that you just don't go, foreigner or local. All in all Tobago is safe. There was one maybe two murders there last year but they went back to drugs.

I am heading over to Tobago in the next few weeks to dive and then a week or two after that to fish. Good people great water!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom