Tobermory Camping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Rick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My club has been going up to Toby for years now, and used to stay at "Happy Hearts" campground. I can't remember why, but about 10 years ago we switched to "Tobermory Village" campground.

They have recently been run by a family who bought the place a few years ago. Something that surprised me this year, is that they are now insisting on a "Security Deposit", but only from scuba divers!!! According to them, all divers are trouble makers.

They also chare fees for just about everything extra, including $8 for firewood, and they prohibit bringing in firewood from outside sources. Friends dropped in to visit us at our campfire at night, and paid big $$ just to visit.

All the money these people are raking in, and they appear not to have spent a single dime on improving the facilities: Lousy washrooms, dirty, always out of paper, etc etc.

We are no longer going to utilize this facitlity, and I would personally not recommend it for all these reasons. I guess we'll be going back to Happy Hearts, or maybe Lands End, although I've never been there.

Any other recommendations on camping for a group in the area would be appreciated!

Anyone else experiencing problems with Tobermory Village?

PS: Water was warmer than expected, viz was great, although the weather wasn't the best, but a great club weekend in Toby this past Labour Day weekend!

Try Cypress Lake Provincial Park. It is a bit of a drive, but VERY pretty!

Ive been diving toby for the past 12 years and we always stay at Cypress Lake, fairly cheap and great sites, cant beat it for camping.

How many hours is the drive from Toronto to Tobermory?

About 4 maybe 4 and a half depends on traffic ect.

While I never stayed at Tobermory Village (always stay at Happy Hearts when camping up there) I have heard some interesting stories and scenarios about the family that runs the campsite now. Stories in which they go around at 9:00pm telling everyone to go to bed, hiding behind campsites and scaring people that make any noise....etc. Not to mention the stories of the facilities.

I would say, spread the word and do everyone a favour -- let's all boycott them and see how long they stay in business :D

Diver Rick:
They have recently been run by a family who bought the place a few years ago. Something that surprised me this year, is that they are now insisting on a "Security Deposit", but only from scuba divers!!! According to them, all divers are trouble makers.
I too stayed at this campground this summer as I brought my motorhome up with my 3 boys for a week. I was not charged for a security deposit so I don't understand that. Our experience was mixed as there were certain positives as well. I did not have a car with me and there are no rentals or taxis available in Tobermory. So when I called around to the various campgrounds, they were the only one that offered to shuttle us with our divegear back and forth (at $10/trip). Susan from Divers Den let me leave our equipment at their shop so we often shuttled back and forth on my motorcycle or walked to save the shuttle fee. If I could not have found a way to get back and forth then we would not have gone up so this was a big help for us. Also, they did not charge us for letting my boys use their canoes and paddle boats which my sons did enjoy using. The pool was also a welcomed source of entertainment for my boys although too cold for me.

Now with those positives, I must agree that the wash houses are awful such that we just used our own in the motorhome. The laundry machines are new but expensive to use. We went to bed at reasonable hours in order to make early charter times so that was not an issue but several others did comment about the hassles they endured from the family coming back after 9 pm. From comments heard on the charter boats among the locals, it also appears that there has been some very bad blood between the family and the locals.

It is interesting though with respect to your comments about divers as with the exception of the mother, all of the children and the father are divers. The teenage boy and girls came by often to play with mine as they enjoyed hearing stories about some of our dives. Apparently the family spends time in the winter in Florida and they were very interested in hearing about different dive sites as I also lent them a book on diving in Florida. I actually felt that because we are divers that we were not hassled but perhaps it was more because of my kids. However, with all this said, I likely would not go there if I was with my buddies but would return if I am with my children.

Interesting post as I was planning a dive trip this fall. If my lads go then we could never stay in a place that wanted that much quite. 9, 7 and 2 and full of life. Odd the charges for divers if this happened and the fire wood rule is crap as I alway bring wood just in case. If the washrooms are yuck then thats the write off for my wife so we will ahve to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the info!

I can verify Diver Rick's story since I was part of the dive club camping with him. They did want a group security deposit, then they wanted individual security deposits. The washrooms and the showers should be reported to the local health board.

I got the distinct impression they did not like divers and the fact that some of them are divers blows me away.

Laura

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom