Tofo Mozambique - which dive operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vegieholics

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

We are planning to go to Tofo in January 2010.

We need to decide between diving with Liquid Adventures (staying at Bamboozi) or Tofo Scuba (staying at Casa Barry).
We have read good things about both companies but need to know if one is definately better than the other. We noticed they have some different dive sites that they go to and that Liquid Adventures claim to take less time to get to a dive site. Can anyone comment on this?

Any reason to avoid January as a dive time?
Any comments on accomodation are also welcome.

Thanks,
Luan & Jacques

Hi

I have stayed at Bamboozi but not dived with Liquid Adventures. Bamboozi was a bit run down when I was there (April 2007). We used Tofo Scuba, very professional.

I have also stayed at Casa Barry and used Tofo Scuba as a dive operator. Casa Barry is by far better, try to book a cabin, not a casita if you can help it.

Don't know about the claim of taking less time to get to the dive sites, the two operators are not far away from one another.

Hi there

A great choice of dive destination! Tofo has a nice vibe and Inhambane close by is an interesting town to visit.

We usually travel to Tofo twice a year - it's our "second home" and have always had the most amazing time there.

Do you have your own transport? If not, Casa Barry is the best place to be as it is on the beach front and basically in the centre of Tofo. It is quite a bit more expensive than Bamboozi, which is a little further out and requires a long walk into town (or a lift if you can get one).

If you like noise and sleeping in sand, stay at Fatimas. Otherwise avoid!!!

If you have your own transport, I would strongly recommend Turtle Cove. All accommodation is in a grassy, shady garden and you can camp or rent cottages. They have a great bar there and it's a real "chill out place". They also have a pool which is nice to relax in after a day on the beach. We always stay there and it's really safe. Turtle Cove is not on the beach but is still in easy walking distance from the surfing beach (Tofinho) and the main beach.

We have always dived with Diversity Scuba. They are incredibly professional and right in the centre of Tofo (again no walking or problems getting to them). Tofo scuba is out of town and no longer located at Casa barry (although they may have a shuttle that takes you out to Tofo Scuba). I haven't used Liquid Adventures but again, can definitely recommend Diversity.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other queries about Tofo, diving in Tofo, where to eat... crossing the border. We joke that Tofo is our second home, so it would be a pleasure to answer any other queries you might have.

Have a wonderful and safe time!

PS - most operators dive the same sites, they just have different names for them! January is a good time to go as you'll get to see the whale sharks!

Kate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom