Too Deep??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The depth before or after I was looking around for you??? :wink:

I would have to refer to my LOG book, but i think it was 139 ft

cra2:
Newbie diver here... with a dumb question for ya,

why dive deep?

*scrreeeeeching brakes* lemme rephrase that, or we'll be here all day.

What has anyone seen deeper than 132' that I canNOT see in less than 132'?
Or 100' for that matter.
Deep = less color, colder water, more danger, less critters. No?

I mean,.. a specific wreck? There are plenty of wrecks less than 130'.

There are many, many wrecks around the world that sit deeper than 40 meters. These usually are relatively untouched, contain more artifacts with historical weight and produce better pics and video than their shallower cousins. Many caves too are deeper than 40 meters. Fact is there is plenty to see that is unique at depths greater than 40 meters. Cold can be compensated for, color is restored with good lighting, danger (or risk) is managed with experience training and proper equipment and protocols.

Hank49:
Well, since I quit drinking, narcosis is my only vice.....

I vote that as the #2 best post of all time.

Doppler:
There are many, many wrecks around the world that sit deeper than 40 meters. These usually are relatively untouched, contain more artifacts with historical weight and produce better pics and video than their shallower cousins. Many caves too are deeper than 40 meters. Fact is there is plenty to see that is unique at depths greater than 40 meters. Cold can be compensated for, color is restored with good lighting, danger (or risk) is managed with experience training and proper equipment and protocols.

If Steve's post doesn't help... let me sum it up.

You'll figure out the why eventually, and if not, you'll have saved quite a bit of money :wink:

My childhood hero said it best. ...To boldy go where no man has gone before.

That is like asking why climb Everest when you can see the same stuff at the top of K2.

Your question is the same one I asked myself 20+years ago when I was a new diver.
After 100 dives or so you may want to see what deeper, dive the deeper wreck or maybe take pictures of sponges that only can be found under 100ft.
Myself going deep is not only about how deep, it is also about the preparation to the deep dive. What bottom gas to use,what deco gas,equipment needed for the dive etc etc. Something more challenging than the 40ft dive.
You may want to dive deeper in the future or you may not. Deep diving is not for every body. And like Spectre mention above it not cheap.

Diving itself is just a means to get where it is... if it's deep, well, deep we go. That said, I am quite fond of clear warm water and a life-filled shallow reef on a sunny day where a single 80 lasts two hours and there's still no deco obligation... :)
Rick

Back
Top Bottom