Too Many Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I now have two DH regs: that DA AquaMaster I bought on eBay a couple of months ago and a Royal AquaMaster that was offered by VDH.

The RAM has all the modern components and should be ready to dive right out of the box. The DA AM is pretty much stock although it has silicone valves, new neoprene hoses and a new duckbill.

I also have a Phoenix nozzle on order. What to do? Should I upgrade the RAM or the DA AM? If I upgrade the RAM then the DA AM could become a project regulator, something I mess around with while I learn more about regs. I don't have all that much money in the DA AM and education is never free.

Or, I could have the DA AM rebuilt and upgraded with the Phoenix nozzle, leaving the RAM as is. The third alternative is to put the nozzle that is currently on order in the RAM and have the DA AM converted by purchasing another nozzle.

But then I would have two conversions. While cost isn't the issue here, I can only dive one regulator at a time. It might be nice to have a project regulator to tear apart and study.

As I know little about the merits of the RAM versus the DA AM and the Phoenix conversions on each, I am looking for suggestions re: which to upgrade and which to dive.

Richard

Convert the DA to a PRAM and leave the RAM alone. Of course, I had two round label RAMs so I converted number two to a PRAM and my other PRAM is a Voit Navy pretending to be a 50 Fathom,if that is not confusing enough.

For SD I probably will bring the round label PRAM and my square label RAM, long yoke, yellow hoses and mouthpiece. Just not enough room to bring them all. In fact, I may only bring one double hose,my PRAM with spare plugs to plug the ports so it can go incognito.

N

Actually, converting the DA was my original plan. I think the RAM is somewhat of a collector's item and modifying it didn't seem appropriate as it is unnecessary. Of course, if I get another RAM then it's off to the shop for conversion for one of them!

Thanks
Richard

I would also agree about converting the DA Aqua Master.

Keep in mind that the RAM and PRAM (Phoenix Royal Aqua Master) are mechanically identical. They share all the exact same moving parts and they are both balanced first stages. The parts are the same as in most modern Aqua Lung regulators.

The DA Aqua Master is a good regulator, but it has the older unbalanced first stage.

I have three PRAMs, but I left my original round label RAM that I bought in 1971 in its original configuration and I often dive it in vintage gatherings.

Ah, (light turns on) one of the effects of the Phoenix upgrade of the DA is to convert from an unbalanced 1st stage to a balanced stage thus making the DA more like the RAM.

Another perfectly good reason for upgrading the DA and leaving the RAM alone.

Thanks!
Richard

Ah, (light turns on) one of the effects of the Phoenix upgrade of the DA is to convert from an unbalanced 1st stage to a balanced stage thus making the DA more like the RAM.

Another perfectly good reason for upgrading the DA and leaving the RAM alone.

Thanks!
Richard

Actually, not to get too picky here :wink: , but it doesn't turn more like a RAM; technically, it turns exactly into a RAM. To be more precise, the Phoenix Mod-II turns it into an upgraded RAM with slightly better flow paths.

When I redesigned the Phoenix from my first generation, I enlarged and streamed lined the flow path to try to improve the IP recovery during the breathing cycle. With the limited instrumentation that I have, I have observed some small but measurable improvement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom