Took it out in the ocean today, Lessons part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lobstah Slayah

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I was crazy enough to go out today. The seas were 4-5 with BIG breakers. I got unloaded and realized that I forgot my seat. As I looked at the seas I decided to try to paddle without the dive gear. It was a wise choice as I was stuck in the surf for about ten minutes. I'd paddle my @ss off, gain 5-10 feet then get slammed by a wave and pushed back that same amount. Toward the end I was getting tired and losing ground. Then it happened, I was unable to correct my heading and got slammed by a big one while not head on. I dove off to the side, surfaced then spent the next 2-3 minutes chasing the kayak to shore. Luckily no one was watching my lame attempt to get beyond the breakers:lotsalove::dork2:. Lesson learned today: Don't even bother if the seas look angry!:no:

Don't get between the kayak and the beach when the surf is bouncing it around.

Well I was crazy enough to go out today. The seas were 4-5 with BIG breakers. I got unloaded and realized that I forgot my seat. As I looked at the seas I decided to try to paddle without the dive gear. It was a wise choice as I was stuck in the surf for about ten minutes. I'd paddle my @ss off, gain 5-10 feet then get slammed by a wave and pushed back that same amount. Toward the end I was getting tired and losing ground. Then it happened, I was unable to correct my heading and got slammed by a big one while not head on. I dove off to the side, surfaced then spent the next 2-3 minutes chasing the kayak to shore. Luckily no one was watching my lame attempt to get beyond the breakers:lotsalove::dork2:. Lesson learned today: Don't even bother if the seas look angry!:no:
I'd say you did pretty good if you lasted 10 minutes paddling in that surf before flipping :D

When its just too rough to paddle through the breakers I get in the water and hold the bow handle and swim (using just fins) the kayak though the surf and then climb into it beyond the breakers. This way the bow always stays pointing directly into the waves. When I was a teenager we used to take Sunfish sailboats through big surf this way and it works great.

Work those lats dude!! I made it through just peachy.. I got to tell you thought the coming back is Cubed.. (the power of three) I might not swim her out but from now on I am going to swim her back through the rough stuff.

I'd say you did pretty good if you lasted 10 minutes paddling in that surf before flipping :D

When its just too rough to paddle through the breakers I get in the water and hold the bow handle and swim (using just fins) the kayak though the surf and then climb into it beyond the breakers. This way the bow always stays pointing directly into the waves. When I was a teenager we used to take Sunfish sailboats through big surf this way and it works great.
Damn, I wished I'd thought of that! I'll try that next time. Good idea about the return too. Thanks!:cool2:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom