Tool Bag and Individual Tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of having a whole collection of hex wrenches, valve tool, schrader tool, pick, etc. I carry the DGX compact multi-tools (metric and standard). They have a lot of the scuba specific stuff.

Going by memory as my tool kit is in my car, as I am diving tomorrow.

All my tools are in a mask case, and is overkill for most people.
Knipex Pliers Wrench 125 and 150 - These fit between a transmitter and the first stage
Knipex Cobra Pliers 125
Channel Lock Pliers with webbing - For Scubapro nuts
DGX Compact Multitools
IP gauge
2 DGX DIN to Yoke adapters - Which takes up most of the space in the kit
Inflator Blow gun
Inflator tire adapter - which I've used WAY TOO MUCH
Klien Tools stubby multi-driver - in addition to the screwdriver bits, this is a nut driver for the hose clamps used on tanks
1.5mm hex driver for Shearwater

Might have some other stuff, like I know I have the DGX inflator fixing tool in my spare parts kits (another mask case).

Also I have better full sized tools at home.

If you ever plan to take your save-a-dive kit in a carry-on bag flying in the US, per TSA any tool greater than 7" can't be carried on and has to be in checked luggage.
Don't take ANY tool on an airplane, that is just asking for a confrontation with TSA.

I can't tell you what you need, but I can show you what I carry in my go bag. It is pretty rare that I don't have what I need to fix just about anything scuba related on the boat or anywhere for myself, customers, or students.

First is just a generic toolbag. It zips closed and keeps everything from dumping in the car or boat.

1673920132817.png

This is everything from inside the bag. Starting from top left and working back and forth.
Small tacklebox in a can coozie, Dive Rite tool roll, three shearwater cases, new generic K style inflator, two rolls of paracord, misc bungee, two spare mouthpieces, roll of hockey tape in a ziplock, spare 6" HP hose, blow gun, scissors, lighter, 22" LP hose with QC6 fitting, lighter, zipties, adapter harness from molex to 3.5mm, spare shearwater strap, spare mushroom valve, snorkle keepers, spare QC6 fittings, acid brushes, 4 tubes of e6000, pill bottle of steramine tablets, pack of skabs patches, plastic prybar, bug repellent wipes, cheapy IP gauge.

1673920396678.png

Next, inside of the cases.
First one is batteries, 9v, AA, AAA, CR2, 123, 2032, and whatever the shearwater transmitter battery is.
Next is spare rebreather cells of various styles, another spare mushroom valve, adapter harnesses to make different cells work in different rebreathers
Next is a few different styles of calibration caps for different rebreathers.
The small tacklebox is Orings on this side, a spare stem, spools, valve wheel spring and nut.
Another package of skabs. These things are amazing, they fix everything from drygloves, to drysuits, to counterlungs, to BC bladders. They are made for side of the trails bicycle tube repairs, but they are amazing and fast.

1673920641814.png

The other side of the tacklebox is some batteries, port plugs, wingnuts, fin strap bolt, an OPV, Oring picks, and some triglides. This little kit goes everywhere, even if the whole bag can't come, this thing fixes most issues.

1673920760410.png

Lastly is the tool roll.
From top left across and repeating. the stuff on the top goes in the zipper compartment on right.
K inflator tool, sex bolts, 5/16 wingnut, 3/8 wingnut, tire inflator, tiny tacklebox of port plugs, spools, OPV, DIN and yoke rings, emery board, silicone grease, O2 lube, flush cut dykes, flat screwdriver, Schraeder tool, pick set, two round pin spanners, blowgun with shearwater battery tool, small screwdriver, heavy pick, multi bit screwdriver with bits in the handle, two crescent slimline WideAzz spanners, folding utility knife, allens metric and standard, offset needle nose pliers.

1673921028859.png

Any questions about what it is or where to get it, just ask.

I have a fairly extensive save-a-dive-kit. My absolute favorite tool by far is the XS Scuba Star Tool. It's about $30 and has the exact sizes needed for hoses, port-plugs, and a number of other common things. I actually have 2x; one stays in my dive-pouch on dives, and the other goes in my save-a-dive kit bag.

From there, my collection of tools is somewhat of a mix. I have some scuba-multi-tools, a generic multi-tool, and a couple other tools like wrenches, crescent wrench, screw-drivers, etc. I also have added a few scuba-specific tools over time, such as an IP gauge, inline 2nd-stage-adjuster,

Anyway, my philosophy tends to prioritize:

* Required tools - in other words having something ... anything which could get the job done.
* User-friendly tools - Rather than a generic tool, having tools designed for the purpose
* Size and weight - I don't want to take an entire tool-box with me.
* Streamlining - Do I have duplicate tools? Or tools I don't need? Or tools I've never used/needed?

----

Looking at your list:

Fixed spanners for hoses
This is good. I like having the equivelant of 2 wrenches. I'd probably have one adjustable spanner wrench. For example, SPGs, I often find I need one for the hose, and a 2nd for the spg.

(1/2”, 9/16”, 5/8” & 11/16”???)
The XS Scuba Star has all of the common sizes.

- Flat-head screwdriver - Phillips screwdriver
Definitely

- Hex key set (1/4", 3/16", 5/32")
XS Scuba star also has these.

- Inflator Schrader valve tool
Not a high priority, but can't hurt.

- 2nd stage reg adjustment tool
I like having one of these in my kit; they're small, lightweight, not too expensive. I have the one that is inline with the hose, and doesn't have the pressure-gague.

- Tank hand wheel nut tool
I've never needed one at a dive-site. The XS scuba start technically has one, but it's the one tool I've found doesn't work that well, because it's rather short and some of the "Star" parts prevent it from going inside some valve-knobs.

- Allen key for Yoke to DIN?
Definitely, and a couple inserts as well. The inserts aren't always the same size, so make sure you have one of the correct size (in a pinch, a flat-head screwdriver may also work, not that I reccomend it)

- Brass O-ring pick

Definitely

- Spare O-ring kit
Definitely.

- Silicone grease
Definitely

- Zip ties
Definitely. also some paracord and bungie-cord. Now we're getting into "save a dive kits." You might want to search for and browse some existing threads, because people have made some great save-a-dive kit lists.

For example, you'll also want a spare mouthpiece. Both din-to-yoke and yoke-to-din adapters (I like having 2 of each). A transfill-whip is optional, but great to have. Spare batteries for everything electronic you use. Any tools for opening dive-computer battery compartments. A mini first aid kit. Some kind of cutting-device. Spare cash. Pen & paper. Spare hardware like tri-glides, d-rings, bolt-snaps, double-enders. optional: spare finger-spool.

I might have to dig out my save-a-dive kit and make a real list, because I'm doing this from memory.

I wrote an article on this topic a while ago. I carry a small pelican box with all the tools i need tho keep my gear and friends from causing a missef dive.

Plus I can come to the rescue of a cute female dive buddy who wants to put her hair up. Sorry dudes, I'm not giving one up for a man bun 🤣
What about for the beards? Mine gets tied for every dive or all hell breaks loose.

A couple hair ties (surprisingly useful for random things even if you don't have long hair)
I have a bunch of these from DGX. I assume they serve a similar purpose?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom