Tool kit for regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used crescent wrenches back before my highschool shop teacher explained that using one was admitting that you didn't have the right tool for the job over 45 years ago . I learned.
That made the 6" Knipex parallel jawed wrench such a hard sell for me and I resisted it for years but, I have finally seen the light. The Knipex is what I use when my 8" 200 lb bench vise and impact tools are not needed. But they, as with the 3/4" socket set aren't in my take along diving tool kit either. The only tools that I don't own are a 4 jawed chuck for the lathe and a decent milling machine. Drills, taps and dies for use only on stainless are kept in a seperate location from my drills, taps and dies for anything non stainless. And I'm just as anal with the rest of my tools kept in 2 16 drawer body high tool chests and 5x 3 drawer extensions that are stacked on top of each other.
The Knipex, my O-Ring tools, a Shrader valve tool, set of ball headed Allyn Keys, a screwdriver with tips for anything on a reg, including sockets, inner and outer snapring pliars and a pair of needle nose pliars are the only tools that I need to take along for my dive gear.
Sure I've got a different set of tools for my scooters, including the crimping pliars for the wiring, but that only goes along for weeklong cavediving trips.

Michael

You're obviously not a German, your tool, we call them multigrips is for butchers.

When you want to progress past springy Allen keys

View attachment 521906

for the tougher stuff get a set of these

Looks like Craftsman tools which used to have a lifetime warranty - unfortunately no longer.
Now you need to buy Hazett, Proto, or SnapOn

Michael

Crapsman...

Actually most of them weren't that bad, although their screwdrivers could have had better blades. I've also broken the ratchet mechanism more than once on 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets, cracked a 1/2" socket too, before I bought a 3/4" Set.
Phillips and Posidrive screwdrivers seldom last much longer than a year, no matter who makes them.

Michael

Yup, the Knipex pliars in the leftmost picture in the linked Amazon page https://www.amazon.com/s?k=KNIPEX+Tools+86+05+150+6-Inch&ref=nb_sb_noss.
They will properly grip the hose ends and keep them from getting rounded off over time, as happens with any openjawed wrench.

Michael

I haven’t tried anything like that Knipex tool, for agree with the need for a different set of gear for traveling and specific applications. Why have 10+ open end wrenches when one tool works just fine,

For me, the slim jaw adj wrench works perfectly. And, I have never rounded off a hose end with it. In fact, the slim pointed jaws make better engagement than my open end wrenches on most hose ends.

I would add that a standard set of Allen wrenches may not cut it. I like the ball end stainless set, for just a few extra bucks. I have found two applications that require something beyond a standard metric Allen set. Several second stage regs require an SAE Allen key to adjust breathing resistance. And a Poseidon Jet/Xstream need a 1.5mm Allen key to adjust the depth of the servo valve. So depending on what gear you have, you might have a couple specialty items.

Actually most of them weren't that bad

Having had to replace a stolen tool set from the 1980's with current production, they are pure junk. Plating is poor on sockets/wrenches/etc., gear assembly in ratchets is junk, screwdriver tips frequently fail under proper use...

What is proper use?
Most of my bigger screwdrivers have a hex shaped section on the shaft next to the handle in order to fit a wrench and cheaterbar, that and the metal cap on the end of the handle for use with a hammer are definately not proper use, but if there is no other way I'll happily destroy a $10 screwdriver to save on removing a screw with Electrical Discharge Machining, which is another tool that I don't have.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom