Top 10 Maui shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's more misinformation about the Ahihi partial closure. Like I said I don't think it's worth diving but if you really want to try it you should do it.

ahihi-kinau.png

Parts of Ahihi-Kina’u Natural Area Reserve Closed for Two Years

Sean

You guys rock! Let me pose this question. What are the best night dives? I've done Black Rock several times and it's great but we're looking for a site with more adventure.

Has anyone ever dove Makena / 5 Caves / Old Airport as a night dive? Are these sites too dangerous at night? I don't want to put our group at risk but would certainly like to increase our chance of seeing Mantas and Eagle Rays.

I think the park may be closed at Old airport (but I don't want to spread any misinformation!). People dive Makena at night a lot. I really enjoyed a few night dives on the finger out from the 5 graves entry... The Soldierfish are all out over the finger, the Conger Eels are out feeding.. It's pretty fun! I have done dozens of dives at Ulua but a friend of mine tells me Makena is a lot better at night than Ulua (Ulua is nice though). I think the parking lot may close at Makena too (sorry I am not ABSOLUTELY sure) but just park on the road...

I once had a Manta run into me at Ulua at night... He could have knocked me out on his first pass.... it was like a strong wind underwater going by me.... I think the chances of seeing an Eagle Ray or Manta at night is pretty remote since you would have to be pretty close by... Although Ukumehame is a known area where they congregate... I'd be a little scared diving it at night since there is nothing around... no lights on shore... but if you are brave go for it! :)

Sean

Here's more misinformation about the Ahihi partial closure. Like I said I don't think it's worth diving but if you really want to try it you should do it.

You're right -- that site contains further misinformation. Fishbowl and Aquarium are not closed -- but the land surrounding them *is*. So, while you can't hike into them, according to the rangers, you can still access them from the ocean legally. Just don't set foot on the land.

As for being worth diving... that's very dependent on conditions. And, in general, I'd tend to agree. Though I suppose I should try finding a day to judge it on in the winter, as the south swells will usually abate for a while.

You guys rock! Let me pose this question. What are the best night dives? I've done Black Rock several times and it's great but we're looking for a site with more adventure.

Has anyone ever dove Makena / 5 Caves / Old Airport as a night dive? Are these sites too dangerous at night? I don't want to put our group at risk but would certainly like to increase our chance of seeing Mantas and Eagle Rays.

I've done Makena Landing (essentially the same site as 5 Caves/ 5 Graves, just a different entry). I don't think that any of these sites necessarily increase the chance of seeing rays -- at the moment there's only one spot that I know of that you can reliably see manta rays, and it's a cleaning station that they frequent in the afternoon.

I think the park may be closed at Old airport (but I don't want to spread any misinformation!). People dive Makena at night a lot. I really enjoyed a few night dives on the finger out from the 5 graves entry... I think the parking lot may close at Makena too (sorry I am not ABSOLUTELY sure) but just park on the road.

You'll find that, technically, all the beach parks close by 8 or 9pm. Some have gates on the parking lots (e.g. Makena Landing, Wailea, Airport beaches), some don't (e.g. Ulua). Some of these gates are far enough away from the beach that you can't just park outside (e.g. Wailea Beach), but some of them don't really restrict access to the water (e.g. Makena Landing).

I've heard of many people doing Airport beach as a night dive. You will want to visit it during the day to decide if the hike from the gates is to your liking.

Although Ukumehame is a known area where they congregate... I'd be a little scared diving it at night since there is nothing around... no lights on shore... but if you are brave go for it! :)

I haven't heard of people going there at night (by boat or shore) -- do the mantas hang out there then, too? I've only heard of them really being there in the afternoon... even the morning it's pretty sparse, apparently.

If you *do* go there at night, make sure to leave someone by your car.

I am not sure either about when the park closes, but even if it was open I would think it wouldn't be that spectacular. Black Rock I think would have more activity.

On my way home at night I see people diving at mile marker 14 and down near Pali. Could just be people hunting for lobster but I see it a few nights a week.

My favorite Maui shore dives were 5 caves and Ahihi cove.

Consider getting a copy of "The Divers Guide to Maui" by Chuck Thorne. It's a nice little guide to 50 shore diving and snorkeling spots on Maui. Chuck's a long time Maui resident. I saw a few copies available on Amazon for less than $10.

And thanks to those who pointed out that we reported in error that "fishbowl" and "aquarium" were closed, we've corrected the article...

I personally liked honolua bay, it is a also good spot for afternoon dives in summer...

I even saw a manta ray there, here is a video from the afternoon dive i did last june (manta at the end):

[youtubehq]HGmBbluGIi4[/youtubehq]

Ului Bay and Olawalu are for me the prettiest sites. % caves is right up there too. Mala pier is good for white tips and macro. Black Rock is a nice night dive but not much by day. I love Maui shore diving, and Debbie and I have well over 100 dives on that nature PLUS lots of boat dives too.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom