Top hat vs s wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
After being inspired by the great 109 to 156 thread I am in the process of repairing my first 109. I am starting with an unbalanced 109 that has the top hat style poppet. I have the following kits available to install. Duro poppet, top hat style balanced kit from a g200B and several s wing type repair kits. The spring is coming from a G200B that had the top hat balanced poppet in it.

I am looking for recommendations on which way to go. Currently I am leaning towards installing the NOS top hat balanced poppet unless somebody has a reason that it would be unsafe (I'm not using the orings from the kit just the top hat). Most likely the 109 will end up on my mk2 as a stage bottle, but I am interested in seeing which I like better the 109 BA or my G250's.

... but I am interested in seeing which I like better the 109 BA or my G250's.

I'm still trying to figure that out. :)

If you have a NOS tophat balanced poppet, I see no reason why you shouldn't use it until it dies, and that'll be in about a hundred dives or much more if it's used as a deco rig.

When that time comes, you'll be suprised how the s-wing poppet swaps right in. Initially, I had a little concern with regards to the balance chamber, because the older poppets use a 2.5mmx1mm o-ring, while the s-wing's use two 2.2mmx1mm. But so far I haven't seen any dire effects, no problem with sealing.

Most of my s wing kits have a balance cHamber with them. So I am planning on using them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom