Top Heavy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds:
In reference to my feet they have never floated in fresh or saltwater before. I was diving in the pool when they were floating.
The weight was actually up on my chest now that I think about it. Maybe stick with my belt?
If the weight was higher on your torso, the it wasn't your feet rising, merely your torso being pulled down before your feet. Revert back to the weight belt and you shouldn't have any more problems.

Hmmm ankle weights on my ankles sounds less than fun :yuck:
I'll mess around with it. I just don't want to be a "bottom feeder" where I dive because I don't especially like being IN the eel grass, I prefer to hover over it. :wink:
Another thing to note: all of my eh hem "natural bouyancy" :blush: is concentrated above my hips. How should that play into where I put my weight?
I think the instructor knows how much weight I wear free diving because he helped me pick out my belt so the 19lbs is probably ok.

Gidds,
Is it possible for you to get to the pool with all of the weights in 3#, 2# and 1# increments?
If you can do this you can start of by shifting 2 pounds at a time from your back weight pouches to your waist pouches (1# at a time from each side).
This will allow you to notice a shift in your center of gravity and not end up teetering back and forth while trying to sort out your trim requirements.

the K

Ask your instructor if you can go back to using the belt. Believe it or not, your "natural buoyancy" doesn't have to be off-set by placing weights higher on your torso.

Actually I meant since my top is more bouyant than my bottom wouldn't the belt be better for trim?
K-yes I can probably get back in the pool and mess with the weights but I think I get them in 2, 4, and 5 pound increments. Thanks for the suggestion.

One would think.

Gidds:
... I had the 5 pounders in the non-dumpable and 4's in front.../QUOTE]
So you were diving with 18 pounds Vs th 16 you use for snorkling. You will most likely need more when you go diving.

Now about distribution, I would suggest 7 lbs in each weight pocket (12 pounds total) in the BC and 2 pounds in each non-dumpable trip pouch by the tank. Or you could try 6 in weight pouch (dumpable) and 3 in each trip pocket. That should get more of the weight lower on your body.

Never said I was good at math or typing :wink: Thank you everybody for the helpful and prompt suggestions. :)

Gidds,

If you're diving an AL-80 I'd expect you to need a bit more than your skin-dive weight. so that's on track and not a big difference. Since you need what you need for weight think from the perspective of sinking what is floating and move some of the weight there as you sort out your trim.

In your case it sounds like you want to grow the weight belt some.

I ended up running weight in my upper body trim pockets 3+3 then in my ditchable integrated 3+3 and a 14 pound belt for 26 in all when diving 7/7mm in the ocean. When I go into fresh water I just empty the integrated ditchable pockets. This takes 6 pounds out of my mid section and doesn't disturb my trim. This is with an E7-80. As mentioned how you mount your cylinder is the other freebie that can do wonders.

I don't mind wearing a belt and prefer an lighter BC to don so I only load the BC with what has a need to be in there. Having some weight in the BC will make it stay with you better when you use alot of lift on the surface.

The difference between salt and fresh will be your totle geared up dry weight, including a full tank of air multiplied by .026. In your case probably 5-6 pounds.

Pete

I have the same problem. I can be neutral, but if I'm not moving forward, my feet float. I am diving in fresh water w/ 7mm wetsuit, 7mm boots and atomic split fins. I have a back-inflation BC that is weight integrated. I dive with a total of 26 lbs of weight, 22 in the dumpable pockets and 2 ea. in the non-dumpable. I'm a new diver and this is really irritating me. Oh, I also have an E7-80 that I have mounted as low as possible on the BC. On my next dives this weekend I will try moving the weights from the non-dumpable to the dumpable pockets. If that doesn't work, other than ankle weights or a belt, any other ideas? I'm even considering new booties / fins.

-Aaron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom