top resorts in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey gang,

is there a list of the top resorts to stay at in cozumel?

does anyone know a good place to stay if i only have one weekend to do it all?? =)

also, i hear you can do beach diving.....does this matter which hotel you stay at? how do they charge for this?

thanks!

can't wait to go!

-dan

ps> looking into the intercontinental presidente hotel..

Top resort in Coz? probably Grand Occidental if you want AI. They are on a southern beach, therefore no shore diving.

Fiesta Americana, though not up to the standards of the Grand does have shore diving, not a sandy beach.

The Presidenté would be my other choice for Top Resort, not sure about shore diving here.

thanks for the info, diveborg~
have you stayed at the intercontinental before??

is shore diving pretty fun in cozumel??

thanks,

-dan

Shore diving in Cozumel, while it doesn't compare to the boat dives, is better than any type of diving in a lot of other locations. Actually for night dives I prefer shore diving there.

The easiest and best way to do shore diving is to stay at a hotel with an in-house dive op that offers it. The tanks should be free that way. I've done this at both Scuba Club and Caribe Blue. Both sites were interesting and different. I didn't like Scuba Club at all hotel wise and loved Caribe Blue. I don't know which other hotels offer this.

James

James Goddard:
The easiest and best way to do shore diving is to stay at a hotel with an in-house dive op that offers it. The tanks should be free that way.
James

These ops provide complimentary tanks for shore dives if you are also doing boat dives with them, understandably. Otherwise, you can rent the tanks and weights for a nominal amount.

Cozumel is not known for the shore diving. While we have a few spots that are nice for shore dives, they are still drift dives for the most part and do not compare to diving the reefs.

Have fun.

Christi:
Cozumel is not known for the shore diving. While we have a few spots that are nice for shore dives, they are still drift dives for the most part and do not compare to diving the reefs.
To me it's just a different type of diving. Generally the currents are mild and it's more about looking into the nooks and cranies you can't do on the faster drifts. I'd take a shore dive in Cozumel over any dive Kauaii any day. Only place I've seen sea horses in Coz are on shore dives. But you're right, they don't compare to the boat dives. I still like it better for night. I've seen all kinds of cool eel and octopi on shore dives and unless you have a good group, night drift dives always seem to turn into a mess with a bunch of people crowding around the DM.

I love getting the free shore dives and being able to get in 5 dives a day for $55.

James

deputydan1:
thanks for the info, diveborg~
have you stayed at the intercontinental before??

is shore diving pretty fun in cozumel??

thanks,

-dan
Sorry, no I haven't, but I would like to. Actually there are 2 of me, one that travels with a non-diving wife and kids, and one that doesn't. The one with the wife and kids has to stay at a "nice All Inclusive Resort" to keep them happy so he can go diving. The Grand would definitely qualify for this. The Presidenté isn't AI as far as I know, so it would be more work for me, as well as more money. I'm hoping that Fiesta Americana will be nice enough for the wife and kids while at the same time be decent for an afternoon or evening shore dive for me.

The other me, the one that travels without the wife and kids would stay at Caribe Blu and eat in town for the more adventurous dining opportunities.

Is the shore diving pretty fun in Coz? If you compare it to diving in the Hood Canal in Washington State, in June when the algae is in bloom and the vis is 5ft in 50?f water, then the answer is yes. but it doesn't quite compare to the boat diving there. I'm looking to do some macro photography, so I'm hoping that shore diving will work for that 'cause Cozumel drift diving sure doesn't :wink:

Deputy,
Have you tried the board at www.Cozumel-Hotels.net? When you go to the sight, you'll find the bulletin board on the left side of the page. I'me headed to Coz in July and have found a good deal of info on that board.

bilznut:
Deputy,
Have you tried the board at www.Cozumel-Hotels.net? When you go to the sight, you'll find the bulletin board on the left side of the page. I'me headed to Coz in July and have found a good deal of info on that board.

Welcome to Scubaboard!

Back
Top Bottom