Tortola vs Antigua vs. St Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingNole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,
Going to search the forum, but figured I would also ask the question to see if anyone has recent experiences. I'll be on a cruise ship that docks in St Thomas (8am-6 pm), Tortola (7am- 2:30 pm), and Antigua (8 am- 6pm). Unfortunately, this is a vacation with a little diving instead of a diving vacation:( I'm planning diving in at least one of the ports, along with another diver who is a novice. I was also thinking I wouldn't mind a beach/tour day in one of the ports on a non-cruise ship excursion. Any advice in which of the ports would be the better highlights for diving? I plan on finding a shop to book directly with instead of the cruise line's as I know that is usually the better way to go. So I'm open to suggestions about dive shops too.

For frame of reference, I've done quite a bit of Caribbean diving so I know what or what not to expect (Bequia, liveaboard in the Bahamas, Roatan, Cozumel, and going on the Caribbean Explorer II next month). My friend is a newbie who's only dove in Roatan and Cozumel. Thanks so much in advance!

From what I've read, Antigua is not one of the top dive destinations, so I'd mark it off that list. I'm not familiar with Tortola.

St. Thomas is a popular dive (and shopping) island. I've dove twice with Admiralty Dive during cruise ship stops; there are also other reputable op.s for private excursions (which is how I booked).

My 2 dives with Admiralty in Nov. 2012 were to Armando's Paradise and Navy Barges, and both were 50 something minutes (close to 1 hour) with 80 cf aluminum tanks. I don't think either was over 50 feet deep. Had a good time.

Richard.

I recommend Blue Island Divers in St Thomas. It is who I use everytime we are there.
The diving in Antigua is good but it is a LONG cab ride to get there. I used Indigo Divers. Add $30.00 each way to the dive.
Sorry can't help with Tortola.

I did dive in Antigua with Indigo divers as well. Nice but nothing really remarkable. And the boat ride (40min) plus the taxi ride (20min) makes it a long morning trip, though you have plenty of time according to your ship schedule. In Tortola I took the ship operator to dive the Rhone... very nice two tank dive, good operation but expensive! ($159). Never been in St Thomas (yet).

Back
Top Bottom