Tortugas temporarily closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Found the article in Por Esto. Not good.

Hi Guys...I am a Playa local and can confirm that the ship rests upon Barracuda and Sabalos reef. This ship is load with concrete products and has very little oil aboard. I have dove on sites both north and south and have witnessed NO oil in the water. Our sites are still pristine and beautiful and packed with critters. They are removing everything from the ship as we speak. There are 3 large ships reportedly comiing from the States to help remove it safely...well as safe as possible...from the reef. Here is a video from the port side of the "Cembry" from Nassau, Bahamas resting completely flat on the reeftop. "Way to go guys!?!"

Thanks for the update Jason. It's nice to have a reliable local report.

The Por Esto story reported it's cargo was 10,800 TONS of concrete. They said that yesterday they had fuel lines running from the ship (didn't say to where...) and that they were sending boats out from the port authority to take of some of the concrete in homes of making the ship more buoyant and getting it off the reef.

Couldn't they get some assistance from the navy or cruise terminal people over in Cozumel? They've got to have some procedures in place for ship grounding situations... or at least you'd think they would.

Thanks to all for the updates. I misinterepreted the fact that Tortugas is closed to boat traffic. I don't have a lot of faith that they can unload and remove the ship without doing further damage to the reefs. Time will tell...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom