Torus Vs. LCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thanks to all the great posts here, I've decided to get myself a DSS BP/W.
Now, the only thing I can't figure out is which wing to buy. I won't trouble you with the details of my weighting (I'm still figuring it out myself) but I'm sure I'd be fine with 35 or 40lbs of lift.

The the Torus 35 and LCD 40 are obviously different in their lift but I'm wondering if there is any funtitional differences due to their different shapes.

Any comments would be appreciated, I wanna get this sucker ordered ASAP!

Thanks!

Thanks to all the great posts here, I've decided to get myself a DSS BP/W.
Now, the only thing I can't figure out is which wing to buy. I won't trouble you with the details of my weighting (I'm still figuring it out myself) but I'm sure I'd be fine with 35 or 40lbs of lift.

The the Torus 35 and LCD 40 are obviously different in their lift but I'm wondering if there is any funtitional differences due to their different shapes.

Any comments would be appreciated, I wanna get this sucker ordered ASAP!

Thanks!

Hi Sintax,

In practice, in the water, there's not much difference in the way a LCD dives vs a Torus or donut wing.

You need to keep in mind that for a horizontally trimmed diver the gas ina wing is in two bubbles, one running down each side of the cylinder(s).

There will be no gas in the lower arc of a donut wing, as this is the lowest part of the wing, and gas moves the highest portion of the wing.

As long as the wing is designed with a narrow center panel (all of the DSS wings have a 3 inch center panel) and is sized appropriately for the application the swimming and vent performance will be essentially the same for a LCD vs Torus wing.

You may need 35 or 40 lbs lift wing, or you may not, it mostly depends on the buoyancy of your exposure suit. If you'd like me to walk you through sizing a wing give me a call. 626-799-5078

Tobin

Having tried both instances (now), I can confirm this. If you have your buoyancy sorted out, doesn't matter at all is it torus or lcd version. Also don't be tricked into thinking lcd will be more difficult to handle (as some might say).

Talk to Tobin, make sure you do choose the smallest wing applicable for the type of dives you do, regardless of the shape.

On the other hand, Tobin, I got a chance to dive a friends Torus 49 with 2x12 doubles this weekend, lovely wing indeed.

I just hope my Apeks WTX4 will prove to be insufficient so I can justify another purchase from the selection of your fine products. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom