total impulse buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yodelhawk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Swore I'd never do this again... but I did. On a total impulse, I put down $55.00 each on 4 Al 80
Catalina
01 94
02 01
Luxfer
01 95
01 95

All four look to be in great shape. Of course they are out of Hydro and VIP. I have have a little buyers remorse going on. How bad did I screw up? Thanks for any input you can give me

I would personally never spend a penny on another AL80 but that is because I prefer the characteristics of the larger steel tanks. If you paid $55 each, I think you likely did pretty well. You will of course have to inspected so that adds to the cost but that plus the $55 is still an inexpensive tank IMO.

Get them ready to dive and enjoy them. Don't worry about feeling bad about the purchase until you go out and buy all large steel tanks :wink:

Heck, even if they are bad tanks, you will not likely lose much money (if any) even if you scrapped them.

Swore I'd never do this again... but I did. On a total impulse, I put down $55.00 each on 4 Al 80
Catalina
01 94
02 01
Luxfer
01 95
01 95

All four look to be in great shape. Of course they are out of Hydro and VIP. I have have a little buyers remorse going on. How bad did I screw up? Thanks for any input you can give me

If they have decent valves on them you did fine.

Tobin

You're looking at about $25 for a hydro and fill so $80 - not bad assuming they all pass. Not much margin for resale. I agree with an earlier post, I wouldn't buy an AL 80 with all the other options out there.

I would have bought them at that price (and I have 11 tanks for just 2 divers). I think youy did fine.

Whew!!! Thanks for the support guys. Up to now I have been diving with LP 72's. Still a little bit of an air hog but getting better. The extra air will help a little. Hoping to turn one of them into a nitrox tank and selling or donating 2 to a worthy soul within the local dive community. Thanks again.

You did fine if they pass hydro. AL tank is not necessary bad. It really depends on where you dive. Steel tanks can sometime be bad choice too.

If your 72s don't have + rating, you get 65cf only. AL80 (77cf) give you a nice increase in air capacity. If your LP72s have the + rating, you gets 72cf. Then 5cf more of air is what you get. Not sure if the cost is worth the touble tho

Whew!!! Thanks for the support guys. Up to now I have been diving with LP 72's. Still a little bit of an air hog but getting better. The extra air will help a little. Hoping to turn one of them into a nitrox tank and selling or donating 2 to a worthy soul within the local dive community. Thanks again.

While I commend you for wanting to Donate tanks, I would personally figure out where you see your diving going and what your tank needs may be. If you have tanks you have something to double up potentially, some to sling or whatever. I wish I had spare tanks kicking around that I could consider doubling up because I want to keep single tanks as well.

Food for thought.

Catalina
01 94
02 01
Luxfer
01 95
01 95

It depends on your values.

Personally for my diving in cold water I'm happy to give up the 13 pounds an HP 80 allows. But as far as diving that's the biggest difference. If you don't mind hefting the weight topside it's 80 Cf (well 77.4) which is a good bump from your 72s assuming nominal fills on all. If you are a taller diver you may even prefer how they trim out. Expect the Catalinas to feel a little tail heavy relative to the Luxfers. It's nothing major but noticable if you use them back to back.

At my local prices they'll be recommissioned and filled to dive for $100 each or so total, cheaper than any new cylinder.

Realize that some shops irrespective of alloy or brand are black balling aluminum cylinders when they are 20 years old. By that measure one is over the hill and 3 are on thin ice. Find out about your local shop's attitude. Technically they are perfectly good and no eddy current testing is needed. At worst you should be able to flip them for even money + a bit.

As a new diver this will give you a stable of tanks that will let you dive at will for $400. You are not married to them you can add to the collection, flip, trade or whatever. I would have tried to dicker a little lower since you are taking the (minimal) risk.

If the valves are in need of service you may want to see what that looks like as DIY project since that could tarnish the buy a little.

Pete

You can never have enough AL80's IMO. Great stage bottles, deco bottles, or OW side mount bottles or just even plain old back mount singles. I would have bought them all probably.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom