Tough Year for Some

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divereh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I want to start a pool as to how many dive shops go under this winter. With the intrduction of e-shopping who really needs a dive shop anyway. I sure you idiots that buy your gear online will figure out how to buy fills on-line as well, or hey maybe you can buy your own compressor with the money you saved, don't worry about sevice just thow it away when it caps out, after all you just bought the stuff for next to nothing from someone somewhere.

Just a thought

never to visit Colt Creek Diving in Newmarket.

In other words - thanks for making a positive contribution to this board. :upset:

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone now why you would be in financial trouble with an attitude like that. This is the stereotype of every bad dive shop, neatly rolled into one post. Well done.

Nice attitude .... I am actually looking around for a BP/wing and was looking at OMS. Remind me to avoid Colt Creek.

This being the tech section and as a former dive shop owner, I have to point out that there are few shops that are of use to technical divers. Around here if you want trimix you'll have to do it yourself or come to me. Of course I have a compressor and so do most of the other serious technical divers (or group of divers) I know.

Few shops have anything I need, know anything I need to know or can whip up the gas I need to dive. I need them why?

I wouldn't dream of having some one else service my equipment either. BTW, do you think the local shop could break my doubles down, rebuild the manifold, O2 clean everything and set it all back up? Shoot, even if they could, taking all my tanks and regs to some one else for service would cost about what a new car would cost. LOL

Also as a former shop owner I do feel your pain. The agencies, manufacturers and shops have made their bed though and they'll have to lay in it.

Who are the idiots?

divereh once bubbled...
I want to start a pool as to how many dive shops go under this winter. With the intrduction of e-shopping who really needs a dive shop anyway. I sure you idiots that buy your gear online will figure out how to buy fills on-line as well, or hey maybe you can buy your own compressor with the money you saved, don't worry about sevice just thow it away when it caps out, after all you just bought the stuff for next to nothing from someone somewhere.

Just a thought

If I wandered into your shop and came accross an attitude like that I'd be sure to wander straight back out.
As it happens where I bide is too small to support a dive shop anyway, the nearest is an hours flight away - we manage just fine withour own compressors, banked gas in the garage, and after a few disasters getting gear serviced it gets done at home as well - and yes we are perfectly capable of launching our own boats too
I do deal with a couple of shops, ones I can ring and know they know what they're talking about, and won't try and sell me gear I don't want - oddly enough they'be both expanded in the last couple of years

divereh once bubbled...
I go nowhere
Well just this summer you were spamming the board claiming: In just a few years it is now the top shop in Central Ontario for Nitrox and technical divers needs.

And now you are going under?

While I am sorry to hear about your sudden misfortune and can understand your sorrow... calling others idiots is really not the best way to gain sympathy.

Still... I do feel sorry for you... and hope that you can find something to be thankful for.

divereh once bubbled...

Just a thought

Some shops fight online sources in quite ineffective ways, like yours. Others recognize it as part of the business environment and figure out ways to compete, survive, and profit. Your shop may close but the fittest will survive and prosper (and be better off for it). You may have to find another line of work, but you should be able to get your training, service, and air (all firmly under LDS control) at one of the successful shops.

Just a little different thought.

1.) Concentrate on top notch education instead of pushing overpriced gimmicks on uneducated newbies (me, before I found scubaboard). What can a Local Dive Shop offer ther Leisure pro can't- education by professionals. Don't offer discount classes, Offer quality education- then I'll be back.

2.) be nice to your customers, don't rip them off, treat them with respect. I'm not sure what's worse, stepping onto a used car lot or going into a dive shop. If my (former) LDS was in any other business, he would be out of business. However since it's Phoenix Arizona and there are very few dive shops, he gets away with it. He just won't get any more of my hard earned Dinero.

Tony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom