Towing a flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by danceswithoctopus

That's just wrong on sooo many levels . . .

I was diving last summer coming back into shore and heard boat/sea-doo coming, I was only in about 10' of water and so I hugged the bottom and looked up, sure enought they went right over top of me......and then the B****** tried to steal my dive flag, he/she grabbed it and i hung onto it so they let it go........scary but true........

Unfortunately allot of those weekend warrior macho jet ski/sea doo people don't take the time to learn about boating safety or what markers mean what on the water and allot of them just don't seem to care to learn. After 10 years in the Coast Guard I just could not believe some of the dumb things people on those things have done.

We found one guy that was so drunk he had passed out and was idling in small circles with his head on the handlebars. We imagined he had been there a while as he had second degree burns on all his exposed skin from the sun. I'm still amazed he never fell off the thing.

Make sure the line is long enough!

The divers on the boats at the surface rolled with laughter once as the dive flag float descended right along with the diver.

Originally posted by JimC
A passing boat motered up to the flag, cut the line and walked off with the reel.

Must have been one talented boat! It can cut rope and walk on water!

Sorry, couldnt resist that one! :)

You mean these morons on extra-small watercraft menace divers in Florida? How's about we take THEIR names off the voter rolls for the next election! The Greater Los Angeles Council of Divers has started a program to post signs on docks where watercraft operators will read about Diver-Flag ettiquette. Some dorks just don't know what the flag means. Sometimes we pop up & have to duck under surfers, but they look just as scared as we do! Drunk morons are a hazard on the sidewalk, but in the water, it sounds like a recipe for disaster. -Sue:eek:

While on a recent boat dive trip to the Coronado Islands (off the coast of Baja, California) I happened to notice a skin diver in the area. He was towing a flag while hunting. What caught my attention was the sea lion following closely behind the flag float.

It quickly became obvious what was going on, the diver had been tying his catch to the flag float. He'd apparently shot a nice size Sheephead, at least from what I could see of the remains as the sealion feasted.

I can only imagine the diver's reaction upon surfacing to gather his catch, or to add another fish to his collection.

Originally posted by 92630Diver
While on a recent boat dive trip to the Coronado Islands (off the coast of Baja, California) I happened to notice a skin diver in the area. He was towing a flag while hunting. What caught my attention was the sea lion following closely behind the flag float.

It quickly became obvious what was going on, the diver had been tying his catch to the flag float. He'd apparently shot a nice size Sheephead, at least from what I could see of the remains as the sealion feasted.

I can only imagine the diver's reaction upon surfacing to gather his catch, or to add another fish to his collection.

there's an old sea story like that of sharks eating the catch of a local fisherman and when he got to shore, all that was left of an exceptonally large fish was the skeloton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom