Toyota Hilux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
this is a question for those familiar with the car markets
outside the US.

i've tried to find a Hilux truck here in the US and it appears
Toyota has chosen not to sell the Hilux in the US.

does anyone know how comparable the Tacoma (which is
available here) and the Hilux are? are they the same thing
under a different name?

thanks in advance

Hey ANdy,

Im familiar w/ the Hilux but not w/ the Tacoma, all the Hilux's we have here are more than a couple of years old so Ill see what I can find out for you.

Hmmm... the Hilux that our dive shop has is a RHD four door "crew cab" type configuration. Not sure if the Tacoma comes that way?

andy hubby has the toyota tundra and loves it . He says if we ever get to dive together that you can dirve his truck to see if you like it

drew: hmmmm... thanks.... i guess it must be a different model

scubabanker: awesome, thanks! so when are we getting together???

Hi Andy,

the Hilux and Tacoma are basically the same truck, just for different for different markets. In Germany for example the it's Hilux, too, available with a 2,5 ltr. diesel with either 88 hp or 102 hp. Single Cab, Xtra Cab or Double Cab. Other stuff, like lighting, mandatory mud flaps etc. will differ from country to country, but basically it's the same thing.

Stefan

Actually, as the former owner of an '89 Toyota 4x4, I can say the Tacoma and the Hilux are NOT the same vehicle with a different name.

The Tacoma is designed specifically for US/Canadian markets only and is built in Toyota's plant near San Jose, CA. Its biggest difference from the Hilux found in other markets, and even the previous generation (89-94) US model Toyota trucks is the front suspension.

To compare 2WD trucks, the Tacomas use a coil spring front suspension. OTOH the Hilux, and the previous generation US trucks use a torsion-bar setup.

There's an even bigger difference in the 4x4 models. The Hilux uses to this day old-fashioned solid axles front and rear. The US models went to IFS (independent front suspension) with torsion bar springs from '86 to '94. The Tacoma uses IFS with coil springs since its '95 introduction. While IFS gives a better ride, solid axles are perceived to be more robust. It's also easier to lift a solid axle truck than one with independent suspension.

Toyota, like many other car companies, are introducing market-specific models that have no relation to similar-sized models in other markets, even ones with the same name. For example, for the last several years the Corolla sold in Europe looks nothing like the Corolla sold in North America. It makes particular sense for light-duty trucks as Americans/Canadians tend to use them as leisure vehicles, while overseas they tend to be worked much harder.

Andy,
all I can say is that I just bought a new Tacoma four door crew cab model with the V6 and offroad package and I am really happy with the purchase. It seems to be a really well built truck and meets or exceeds my expectations on performance.

I reccomend the Toyota Tacoma, at least the model I am driving.

Winton

thanks everyone... good info

For those who don't feel like checking with google, here is what that truck looks like. link

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom