Tragedy on NOAA research site Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello! My name is Gary Powers I joined this website as a favor for my sister who just lost her son Dewey Smith at the NOAA research site off Key Largo yesterday. My purpose was solely to ask any one who may have known Dewey,whether just in passing or actually knew him well, to blog on this site and express any thoughts or feelings they may have had of Dewey. He will remembered by me as a wonderful nephew and person who made you smile everytime you talked with him. This is a difficult time for my sister and I thought some words from those who may have worked with him or knew Dewey might have a few words I could print out and give her.
Thank you for acknowledging his untimely death yesterday and I appreciate your time. Gary Powers

I have known Dewey since he was a small boy. I married his mothers sister 29 years ago. This is a very sad time for those of us who knew and loved Dewey. He has always been a ray of light to all of us and I can't help but picture him now with his granny, who was an angel in the flesh. I just wish I could have five minutes more to talk to him, but I know that time will come soon enough. We will support you any way we can Donna. Jeff

I joined this site , because I heard about Dewey, and, I wanted to say that I toured the Aquarius once and met him in passing.

I am very sorry...

On behalf of the entire command, I express our condolences for the loss of this great man. Many of us met or worked with Dewey and were always impressed by his skill and professionalism. He was a tremendous asset to the Aquarius project and will be missed.

I had the great pleasure of meeting and working with Dewey on two missions at the Aquarius. Since we were both previously Hospital Corpsmen and both had a love of diving, he and I hit it off instantly.

Although our freindship was brief, I am saddend by his loss and my heartfelt condolences go out to his family and the NOAA/NURC/Aquarius team.

LT John Peacock
Diving Medical Officer
Navy Experimental Diving Unit

Dear Gary and family of Dewey, including his NOAA NURC "family", It is with great sadness that I learned of Dewey's untimely passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. I was looking forward to working with Dewey this coming year. I was very impressed with him as a diver and a person and regret not having the privilege of saturating with him. His work made a difference to underwater scientific research, which I hope is of some comfort to you as you remember his remarkable life. Deepest condolences, Mark Patterson, Virginia Institute of Marine Science

To each of you who have taken time out of your day to send a message about your time with Dewey, I want to sincerely thank you on behalf of my sister and our family. Dewey leaves us with a wonderful legacy of hope, tolerance, and most importantly, to remember to enjoy life and try to make others smile... as he did so easily. Thank you!! Gary

Last edited:
I lived with Dewey for nearly a year. He and I shared the first year of our working at Aquarius as roommates - living at the facility as the caretakers.

Throughout the early days of our time together, Dewey's outlook and natural joy made it easy for us to share a small room tucked in the back of a busy research facilility.

Our room was right by the employee restroom. In the morning staff would arrive and hit the restroom as part of thier morning routine. Dewey and I would jokingly try and guess who was "in there" by the pattern of noises heard.. One crew member always washed his hands (our guess was Roger), and another (James) would seemingly assault the toilet paper roller bolted to the wall.)

Kindly forgive me for diving into bathroom trivia.. but it was one of the ways Dew and I turned what we had into a game.

Throughout the earlier days of our time together, we were able to chum around as fellow Rookies. I still very vividly remember our first time in the habitat. Buckley was instructed to take us down with him and show us the startup procedure for the habitat, to bring the thing to life.

Dewey and I followed behind Jim outside the habitat as he swam from one valve array to the next, lining up the air supply for this feat of engineering. Jim did this with an air of confidence, as simply as one would tie a necktie, or going shopping for grocieries. Smart guy, that Jim.

After a lap around Aquarius, Jim called us into the wet porch. As dewey and I entered the air space of the habitat and took off our masks, and I can so clearly see this in my memory, we looked at each other with the biggest, dumbest, goofy-est grins on our faces. I was about to say, and could tell Dewey was also, something along the lines of "This is the most incredible thing.. and it's going to be our job!" But Buckley had other plans.. "Get your stuff off and get up here! We're not done!"

After the daily shift was over and the rest of the crew went to thier homes, Dewey and I would often reflect on how blessed/humbled we felt to be part of this agency.

Sometimes we'd walk over to the nearby watering hole and "reflect" rather aggressively, and stumble home in a Rolling Rock induced haze. Other times, we'd go downstairs and sit on the steps facing the canal, and talk some matter of work over: "why are the moorings laid out like this?" or "how would you lay out the shop differently?" or we'd talk about our family, plans, fears.. the usual stuff close friends end up chatting about.

We also made an admittedly corny and probably terrible Beastie Boys styled rap about the work. I'll spare the readers the full, um, masterpiece.. an excerpt included something along the lines of "we've had to kill more coral than global warm-ing, Heading out to the site even when it's storm-ing." (eco-dork note: the killing coral reference is related to the fact that we must keep reef growth off of our critical components.. NOT that we go around stomping on staghorns!). We kept the pulitzer-prize-grade lryics written down on a shared notepad, and we'd sit down over a beer and always try and incorporate new things we had learned into it. I wonder where that notepad is.. should've copywrited it.

Other things we did:

Cut the tops off of coconuts and make dangerous rum-drinks out of them! Once the facility's supply of coconut had been depleted by too many social events, we'd catch ourselves scoping out the neighborhood for nighttime coconut-procurement missions. Later we found out noone cared if we took them or not. Good thing, since the MGB was /not/ a sneaky vehicle, and the limited trunk space make for short hauls of coconuts.

We'd do mechanic stuff at Larry's. Dewey bought a mid-70's porshe 914. He had this zany idea that a newer Saab twin turbo motor would fit in it. I had to leave the area before he finished, but I would wager that the Paarshe, Sorb or whatever he would've dubbed it, would've been a sight. The day the motor arrived at Larry's on a wood pallet, he had this gleam in his eye..

Dewey made the feeling-comfortable-at-a-new-place part of my life easy, and I deeply hope I did the same for him.

Eventually, our roles at the facility began to differentiate substantially. I left the agency after a year's stay there. At the end of my stay, I had a difficult time - but Dewey was invariably the one person who would be rock-solid uplifting. Nate said it well at his services recently, "He could make you laugh, even if you didnt /want/ to."

Even though he's left me, he's still helping me. He was so good at being uplifting that his persona persists well after he's left us. Even know, I'm smiling as I finish this.

Thank you Derek(and others) for your comments... it's exactly why I started this thread. You have no idea how comforting it is to read each and every word. Unfortunately we all bid Dewey farewell Saturday and had to let him go. It was great to meet all of his comrades from Key Largo and to hear the guys stand up and give tribure to Dewey. All of the men from the military who showed up were also greatly appreciated. This is a good time to stop the rat race and stand outside the mad rush for just a few minutes and reflect on the special times we shared with special people like Dewey. Maybe the lesson in this is always the same...take care of friends and family while they are with us, not only hear what someone is saying but actually listen, and to share a little of the other guy's pain and maybe cause them to smile. Dewey I miss you, Uncle Gary

Last edited:
Dewey was a childhood friend of mine. Although I only knew Dewey for a few years and had last seen him probably 25 years ago, he left a positive impression on me. We used to play football and baseball together in the neighborhood, play in the “ditch” across the street, and walk and talk on the way to and from the school bus stop in the mornings. I remember Dewey having a big heart and passion, even at such a young age. I wish I had kept in touch with Dewey over the years and had gotten to know him better, but I look forward to seeing him one day in Heaven and catching up with him on the last 25 years. Based on all I have read and heard about Dewey over the last few days, he apparently influenced so many lives in such a positive way. I have heard it said that the only legacy we can leave in this world is the impact we had on those around us. Well, it sounds like Dewey left a very rich legacy.

The most important thing now is that Dewey apparently asked Jesus Christ to be his Lord and Savior, so he is now in perfect peace in Heaven with his eternal life secure. And his family and friends can hold on to the hope and promise that we can see Dewey again one day. Until then, I pray to you all (especially Dewey’s immediate family) that The Lord will provide you with comfort, with strength, with encouragement, and with peace (the peace that surpasses all understanding). May you feel the warmth of God’s love during this difficult time. And may God bless you with all the richness of His grace, grace that is sufficient to sustain you each and every day.

In Christ’s Love,

Michael Thonen

Back
Top Bottom