Training Dive #5- What went wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I told the instructors helping me that I must have a cold ... Can something as simple as a cold cause a dive experience to go suddenly awry like this, especially when I already had four successful dives?

First, you mention "the last two weekends"; two of those 4 dives were either the previous day or even the previous weekend. Either way, they aren't relevant to the situation. Also, the way you tell the story is that you told the instructors you must have a cold some time before you had really obvious symptoms. Colds don't just happen immediately so you could have had some early symptoms even if you weren't consciously aware that you were getting a cold and resultant congestion. Once you've got some congestion ear problems can definitely happen quickly if you go diving. It's also possible to dive and not have ear issues even though you're congested. That means it's certainly possible that the developing cold made you feel off before starting the 3rd dive, and it all seemed to happen very quickly.

Of course none of that guarantees that you weren't (also) having a problem with nerves. As Eric suggests, there could have been various issues going on, and they could have combined with a cold/congestion to cause multiple issues. I'll also ask if there's any chance that you didn't really have a cold? Were there symptoms beyond the problems with the ear? You can have ear problems as a result of issues with equalizing that are similar to congestion from a cold. Your ear(s) may feel "full" or blocked as a result. Whatever the cause, your problems at the beginning of the dive could certainly make it more likely that you'd have a problem with equalizing.

I can't help but think it was psychological because a cold does not stop me from doing other things.
Your OW course may not have gone into a lot of detail, but there should definitely have been some mention of the possible problems of diving while you're congested. You certainly know a bit more about it now, but if you can't remember any discussion about it perhaps you still need to review the course information. Going back to the "last two weekends" bit, if you had one of the courses where everything happens in only two weekends it can be easy to be exposed to all the info but not retain it as well as with a course that's spread out over a longer period of time.

"struggling to breathe..."

Be sure your wetsuit fits properly.

I once had to rescue my so-called Divemaster/assistant (during an Open Water class) when he went into a full blown panic being "unable to breathe." Basically his wetsuit was too tight.

Last edited:
"struggling to breathe..."

Be sure your wetsuit fits properly.

I once had to rescue my so-called Divemaster/assistant (during an Open Water class) when he went into a full blown panic being "unable to breathe. Basically his wetsuit was too tight.
Tight wetsuit was the other one I forgot to mention, thanks for bring that up.
I've seen so many classes locally where the students were packed into 7mm two piece farmer johns with bibbed or hooded vests underneath. The instructors always seem to have a obsession with fitting them tightly figuring they'll be warmer with less loose water flowing in and out, which is true to a degree. On top of that they stuff them into a fully padded up latest greatest Jacket BC with all the bells and whistles and then always add a few more lbs. of weight figuring they'll have trouble descending feet first like they want them to because they'll be nervous and shallow breathing. It's easier for a newbie to equalize in a feet down orientation. And they always load them up with as much extra stuff as they can like ankle weights and stuff on retractors, etc. I guess they figure they'll buy what they trained in so they hang as much on them as they can to boost sales when they buy their first set of gear. But that's also a lot of extra crap they have to lug and deal with for someone who's never had any scuba gear on and never been in the ocean.
To watch some of these poor students on the beach waddling to the water with mountains of crap on including the huge snorkel dangling is painful to watch. I've seen so many fall in the surf zone (even with very little surf) and they absolutely can't get up so they rolled around until somebody on the beach goes over and helps them up. The instructors always have them stand face to face holding hands with fins on trying to side step into the water, tripping over each others fins. When they finally get to the water the first wave takes them out and they have to start all over. By the time they fully get in the water and get out to the float to do their skills they're completely exhausted and completely stressed out. Even a veteran would feel is like they're in a straight jacket, that's why most of us have shed a lot of the fluff, it's just too much to deal with. No wonder so many new divers never want to dive again, at least locally. They all look like a human dive store display out there.

Man, what's happened to the sport?

Tight wetsuit was the other one I forgot to mention, thanks for bring that up.
I've seen so many classes locally where the students were packed into 7mm two piece farmer johns with bibbed or hooded vests underneath. The instructors always seem to have a obsession with fitting them tightly figuring they'll be warmer with less loose water flowing in and out, which is true to a degree. On top of that they stuff them into a fully padded up latest greatest Jacket BC with all the bells and whistles and then always add a few more lbs. of weight figuring they'll have trouble descending feet first like they want them to because they'll be nervous and shallow breathing. It's easier for a newbie to equalize in a feet down orientation. And they always load them up with as much extra stuff as they can like ankle weights and stuff on retractors, etc. I guess they figure they'll buy what they trained in so they hang as much on them as they can to boost sales when they buy their first set of gear. But that's also a lot of extra crap they have to lug and deal with for someone who's never had any scuba gear on and never been in the ocean.
To watch some of these poor students on the beach waddling to the water with mountains of crap on including the huge snorkel dangling is painful to watch. I've seen so many fall in the surf zone (even with very little surf) and they absolutely can't get up so they rolled around until somebody on the beach goes over and helps them up. The instructors always have them stand face to face holding hands with fins on trying to side step into the water, tripping over each others fins. When they finally get to the water the first wave takes them out and they have to start all over. By the time they fully get in the water and get out to the float to do their skills they're completely exhausted and completely stressed out. Even a veteran would feel is like they're in a straight jacket, that's why most of us have shed a lot of the fluff, it's just too much to deal with. No wonder so many new divers never want to dive again, at least locally. They all look like a human dive store display out there.

Man, what's happened to the sport?

This is one reason why, as soon as I get the cash together for my own gear (hopefully in the new year), I will be going for a drysuit and BP&W.

While doing my OW dives and a few since I found the 7mm wetsuit used to be pretty tight (to the point where it was close to restricting my breathing). When the Jacket type BCD is added it does get difficult to breathe sometimes (particularly on shore entries).

Also worth noting is the additional lead required by the Jacket BCD to overcome its buoyancy on top of its own physical weight adds a substantial weight to the diver who, in a 7mm wetsuit, is already carrying a huge amount of lead to offset its buoyancy.

I am certainly hoping for a large reduction in lead required from the 16Kg (yes 16 kilogrammes not pounds) when I make my switch.

I would also say, why have the students wearing fins out of the water when doing a shore entry? It is a lot easier (especially on rock) to walk out and put the fins on once at a 3-4 feet with a buoyant BCD.

This is one reason why, as soon as I get the cash together for my own gear (hopefully in the new year), I will be going for a drysuit and BP&W.

While doing my OW dives and a few since I found the 7mm wetsuit used to be pretty tight (to the point where it was close to restricting my breathing). When the Jacket type BCD is added it does get difficult to breathe sometimes (particularly on shore entries).

Also worth noting is the additional lead required by the Jacket BCD to overcome its buoyancy on top of its own physical weight adds a substantial weight to the diver who, in a 7mm wetsuit, is already carrying a huge amount of lead to offset its buoyancy.

I am certainly hoping for a large reduction in lead required from the 16Kg (yes 16 kilogrammes not pounds) when I make my switch.

I would also say, why have the students wearing fins out of the water when doing a shore entry? It is a lot easier (especially on rock) to walk out and put the fins on once at a 3-4 feet with a buoyant BCD.

Wow, ~35lb??? When I'm in my 7mm suit, hood and booties, I only need 24 - 26lb. What kind of BC do you have? My BC is just about neutral to maybe slightly negative with no air in it and the tank (Al80) attached.

There are many problems at play here.
First, thick wetsuits have a lot of bouyancy, so combine not only the wetsuit but many times off-the-rack suits have a generic shape with no attached hood, so it's common to wear a hooded vest underneath a two piece suit. Also, some people wear a lycra skin underneath thinking that it adds warmth but all it does is hold another layer of water between you and the neoprene which is the thing actually providing the warmth. This adds up to a lot of constricting stuff and for someone that's never had this stuff on it can be quite suffocating. Yes, then there's the big jacket BC that requires 3 to 5 lbs just to sink itself, on top of that weight is needed to sink the wetsuit, add 3 lbs on top of that for the aluminum tank so very common in rental fleets, and add a few more to top it off for the instructors peace of mind that they'll be able to drop as soon as air is let out of the BC. And I almost forgot, throw in some ankle weights, never forget the ankle weights, they are good for what? maybe another $40-$50 at the register? - I wouldn't know I never used them.

Add all this up and you've got one hell of a lot of weight.

Combine the sausage effect,
never being in an open water environment with a sausage costume on,
they don't teach open water acclimation or skin diving anymore,
being overweighted and miserable,
Not much taught about proper buoyancy BEFORE their first OW class, save that for later so they can more money out of them,
the shock of cold water,
and you have a recipe for nerves, stress, and C02 loading that leads to a very unpleasant first experience underwater.

There is a better way.

Wow, ~35lb??? When I'm in my 7mm suit, hood and booties, I only need 24 - 26lb. What kind of BC do you have? My BC is just about neutral to maybe slightly negative with no air in it and the tank (Al80) attached.

All the gear is rental so not sure of exact types but the WS was a Beuchat, the BC was an Aqualung, gloves, hood and boots not sure. Was using steel 12l cylinders @ 230 bar ( 80's?) Did a weight check on exit with 50bar and was properly weighted (head above the surface on an inhale and sinking on an exhale with no air in the BC.

Might have something to do with being 6'3, quite a bit of bioprene and needing an XXL WS

All the gear is rental so not sure of exact types but the WS was a Beuchat, the BC was an Aqualung, gloves, hood and boots not sure. Was using steel 12l cylinders @ 230 bar ( 80's?) Did a weight check on exit with 50bar and was properly weighted (head above the surface on an inhale and sinking on an exhale with no air in the BC.

Might have something to do with being 6'3, quite a bit of bioprene and needing an XXL WS
You might have been slightly overweighted. You should be able to float with empty tank even on exhale. The exhale and sink strategy is for the beginning of the dive with a full heavy tank.
Actually, the exact way to find out perfect weighting is to be able to hold a 5 meter stop at the end of the dive with a near empty tank and no air in your BC, and you control your buoyancy with breathing alone. With a drysuit leave enough air in the suit to counter shrink wrap but the rest is the same.
I'll bet you could drop a few kilos and be right on the mark.
Then you mentioned 6'3" and needing an XXL. This is what I wear and I'm 6'4" at around 225lbs.
You also mentioned "quite a bit of bioprene". European ideas on "a lot" of bioprene, and the American version of "a lot" are two different things. Americans are the fattest nation on earth so what you consider "a lot" may be almost anorexic to us. 300 lbs. and up wearing a 3x or 4x is considered entry level to "big" guy here.

I got open water certified by PADI over the last two weekends, yay. I did pretty well although I sucked my oxygen twice as fast as my two other co-trainees. The instructor playfully made fun of me that I "needed to find my zen." The dives took place in a lake with very poor visibility no greater than 5 feet. It freaked me out at first. I managed to push through though and even started to enjoy it. The fourth final dive with my buddy went really well and I got certified. The instructor said I looked awesome and everything I did was perfect (although my air was 45% depleted for a 25 minute, 27-foot dive).

I took a peak performance buoyancy class immediately that same day following our open water certification. When I geared up and was walking down to the lake, I felt off. My chest was tight and I loosened my BCD trying to breath normally. I could not tell if it was sickness or nerves. I jumped in anyway and proceeded to the descent point. I was already feeling a little out of breath.

This was my fifth dive. We descended only about 14 feet for some trim exercises and I was already having problems. I struggled to stay neutrally buoyant and was struggling to breathe through my regulator. At first I told myself I'm just getting excited and need to slow down. I slowed my breathing but it only got more strained. I felt like my regulator was not giving me enough air. After struggling to stay on task and not thinking clearly, I signaled my instructor something was wrong and I was going to surface. I went up and met two instructors who told me to just breathe and ultimately swam with me to shore.

I told the instructors helping me that I must have a cold, so I dismissed myself from the buoyancy class. At least I pushed through enough to get my open water certification. I had somewhat strained breathing for the rest of the afternoon, and I started to get dizzy and had a sharp earache. I went to the urgent care and they said my right ear was blocked and gave me decongestants to prevent an infection.

I was sick with a moderate cold for two days. Logically, I had sudden problems on my fifth dive because I got sick. But I can't help but think it was psychological because a cold does not stop me from doing other things. I did freak out a little and was struggling to pull myself together. No matter how much I tried to slow down it just got worse and my ability to think clearly declined. The water was closing in and crushing me in a claustrophobic manner. The regulator was simply not giving me enough air.

The experience was so unpleasant it made me question if I wanted to dive again. Can something as simple as a cold cause a dive experience to go suddenly awry like this, especially when I already had four successful dives?

Short answer is YES the cold could easily be the entire explanation. The long answer and you have had a few ones here.. is that being new, gear stress and poor conditions could have all contributed.

BTW I do not think you panicked. You were smart enough to realize something was wrong indicated to the instructor something was wrong and thumbed the dive. Learning when to thumb a dive and not allowing anyone to second guess you for doing so is a skill that saves divers lives!

It is never a good idea to dive while congested. Decongestants should never be used to enable you to dive. Not just my opinion but it is in all the dive books. As a new diver I allowed myself to be talked into doing a dive while congested by taking decongestants. I perforated my eardrum and had to miss 6 weeks of diving. As an adult I ignored my training because someone experienced said they did it all the time. That was stupid of me because ultimately it was MY responsibility to be sure I was fit to dive. It wasn't the other person's fault ... it was mine for making a bad choice!

Well done on the day and more lessons learned. Enjoy your diving :happywave:

Last edited:
Short answer is YES the cold could easily be the entire explanation. The long answer and you have had a few ones here.. is that being new, gear stress and poor conditions could have all contributed.

BTW I do not think you panicked. You were smart enough to realize something was wrong indicated to the instructor something was wrong and thumbed the dive. Learning when to thumb a dive and not allowing anyone to second guess you for doing so is a skill that saves divers lives!

It is never a good idea to dive while congested. Decongestants should never be used to enable you to dive. Not just my opinion but it is in all the dive books. As a new diver I allowed myself to be talked into doing a dive while congested by taking decongestants. I perforated my eardrum and had to miss 6 weeks of diving. As an adult I ignored my training because someone experienced said they did it all the time. That was stupid of me because ultimately it was MY responsibility to be sure I was fit to dive. It wasn't the other person's fault ... it was mine for making a bad choice!

Well done on the day and more lessons learned. Enjoy your diving :happywave:

A lot of people are reluctant to thumb a dive (not wanting to spoil other peoples dives, on holiday so don't want to waste a days diving they have paid for etc) but it is something we should all be willing to do as soon as that little voice in our heads says "something is not right". I think it is also worth mentioning that if you get in to trouble in the water there are at now least two people in trouble - you and your buddy.

We dealt with the problems of diving while congested on my OW course and kind of treated it as "won't happen to me" but knowing someone that did that reinforces the point. I think I would now sit a dive out instead of blowing my eardrums.

Back
Top Bottom