Training Fish to Catch Themselves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99

Contributor
Reaction score
Silicon Valley, CA / New Bedford, MA / Kihei, Maui
# of dives
500 - 999
It's not dive-related, but just something a bit weird that caught my attention in this morning's New Bedford Standard Times newspaper. There is an article about a consumer advocacy group suing the US Army Corps of Engineers over a study underway in Buzzards Bay. Apparently, they are seeing if black sea bass can be trained to enter a dome shaped structure upon hearing a 280Hz tone -- upon which they can either be fed or collected.

Here's some background:

SouthCoastToday.com: Scientists test use of sound to entice fish to catch themselves

Consumer group sues over Pavlov’s fish experiment - BostonHerald.com

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341649,00.html

Now if I can just perfect my underwater whistling .......

bilde

I was abalone diving with a buddy back in the 70's when we chanced across a big Cabazon. He didn't have a spear, so he opened his goody bag and rapped the fish on the nose. It charged right into the bag. Didn't have to train it.

i'm not an expert in any way, but i thought that it's a bad idea to have farm-raised fish near open oceans? doesn't it lead to several problems like diseases spreading from the farm-raised fish into the open ocean fish stock? isn't that one of the lessons learned from the farm-raised salmon industry?

i'm not an expert in any way, but i thought that it's a bad idea to have farm-raised fish near open oceans? doesn't it lead to several problems like diseases spreading from the farm-raised fish into the open ocean fish stock? isn't that one of the lessons learned from the farm-raised salmon industry?
An additional concern, raised by the group suing to stop the experiment, is the effect on genetic diversity of the wild population.

Genetic contamination / genetic dilution is a hot topic in the Norway farmed salmon industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom