Training for club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just started a diving club at my school. I am trying to get some events planned but am having some trouble getting people to join. Do you have any advice as to how you let people know about the club? I tried putting up signs at school but not many people responded. I have like a core of 5-10 people but only one or two of them is really into it. I would think if you can get enough people then instead of training by doing workouts maybe you could just have a pool session where you work on things and test out new gear. The people who wanted to do a workout could swim or something and the people who want to get more comfortable in the water would be able to work on buoyancy or try out new gear, things like that. I am working with my LDS and they said that they would offer discounts on discover scuba and pool sessions for my club so maybe you could talk to you LDS about that also.

I've now a core of only 3 guys holding the club together.We have the help of the previous president.Having a dive club is very hard work,we have to spread the work betwen ourselves...i m handling the administrative works.It's hard to get people to join,but if they are interested,they will come to you,otherwise you will be wasting your time.My club is having a OW course in a few weeks time and we managed to get over 30 freshmen to join.Quite a good haul,considering my batch had only 12,excluding me(got my cert before entering my insitution)
The pool session instead of training was brought up,but we decided against it. As most of our dives would be in the open waters of South China Seas,therefore it is better for us to get conditioned and trained in case we had to swim long distance in open water.Tough call,but we had to do it for the safety for our members. We had a few discover scuba in my school before,in this some of the participants told others about us.So for us most of the time recuitment is by word of mouth or interest. 1 advice is not to force them to join.
Scout among the newer for new blood to be injected into the club.We have over a hundred members but not more than 2 handful are interested,so numbers in the club does not matter.What you are looking for is committed and those who are interested in diving.Join up with your local environmental club and see what your club can help them do,especially with such a prized skill as diving.
Post your updates over here,i will post mine...we can compare and help improve each other's club

cheers
Darren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom