Transmitter recall - Fail

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update: Suunto sent me a new Vyper NOVO Graphite, no explanation of what went wrong with the five year old Vyper Air. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, jackpot!

Congrats. The Novo is a little bit different in the menus than the Vyper Air so you'll need to refamiliarize yourself to it. But it is a nice DC. Hope this solves your problems.

Update: I bought a used Shearwater Petrel2 about the time my Vyper transmitter was recalled. When I got the transmitter back I was using it in together with my Petrel2. See the photo zoom in on my right forearm. Last weekend my Petrel2 went low battery and on my second dive I dove the Vyper only. There was no transmitter problem, air pressure was reported with no issues for the entire dive. I only have one data point but I'm concluding the Suunto Vyper Air and the Vyper Novo have some cross talk issues with the Petrel2. Because the purchase of the Petrel2 and the transmitter recall coincide I made the wrong assumption that there was something wrong with the transmitter.

Honestly I just want to make this right if Suunto wants me to return the new Vyper Novo I'm ok with that. I just want to communicate a problem that I found to the right people including anyone trying to dive with this combination of computers. I plan to reach out to Suunto technical support this week.

It's not a safety issue I dive with an SPG but I do like the ease of having my air pressure on my DC and if you look at the image you can see my stage tank, its not always quick and easy to pull my SPG out from under the stage tank.

Thanks to Scuba Bd for all the good input.

Scott
IMG_0069.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I bought a used Shearwater Petrel2 about the time my Vyper transmitter was recalled. When I got the transmitter back I was using it in together with my Petrel2. See the photo zoom in on my right forearm. Last weekend my Petrel2 went low battery and on my second dive I dove the Vyper only. There was no transmitter problem, air pressure was reported with no issues for the entire dive. I only have one data point but I'm concluding the Suunto Vyper Air and the Vyper Novo have some cross talk issues with the Petrel2. Because the purchase of the Petrel2 and the transmitter recall coincide I made the wrong assumption that there was something wrong with the transmitter.

Honestly I just want to make this right if Suunto wants me to return the new Vyper Novo I'm ok with that. I just want to communicate a problem that I found to the right people including anyone trying to dive with this combination of computers. I plan to reach out to Suunto technical support this week.

It's not a safety issue I dive with an SPG but I do like the ease of having my air pressure on my DC and if you look at the image you can see my stage tank, its not always quick and easy to pull my SPG out from under the stage tank.

Thanks to Scuba Bd for all the good input.

ScottView attachment 457879
Since Suunto uses proprietary communications for their AI, I wouldn't think there would be a problem with cross talk between the Vyper Nove and the Petrel. But I've never owned a Petrel, so can't say for sure.

Of course, what's more interesting is the fact you're using 2 completely different algorythms. How's that working out?

Hi GregS,

I can repeat the test, I suspected there was a crosstalk issue in my Feb post, I shot that down because it was working on the surface and it wasn't until I started my descent that the air pressure blinked out, something is flakey and it's not Scott LOL.

The Suunto as I expected is more conservative, I estimate 3-5% more NoDeco time with the Petrel.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom