TransPac II or Malibu ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank, Steve & Margo
Frank, I think we agree that we both misunderstood, glad to see we got it straightened out.
As for Steve & Margo's decision on "What BC", which ever one you decide on, keep in mind that if your diving intrests change, pick a BC that can change with you, either the Zeagle or the Trans Pack II will fit this need. If you buy one for Rec. diving then switch to technical diving or just want to dive with doubles either on of these will work fine, all you would have to do is buy another set of wings insead of a complete BC. Since you will already be familiar with it to begin with there would be no problem with the switch. Also Dive gear companies would like to have something for every type of diving, like auto manufactures, Ford has trucks,vans, cars, sports cars etc. Dive manufactures are not different, if you want a back inflated BC, stick with a manufacture that specializes in this area, all their research is done in back bouancy, not just something thrown together to fill a niche in their line.
Hope Frank & I haven't confused you too much.

Both of you have provided much needed input. I was pleased to see that Frank would buy another Scout if he had to replace his old one. That suggests to me that the Scout earned his loyality, through good fit and function. Since getting all this input we have done a little more shopping. We checked out the Sea Quest Ballance, very similiar to the Malibu (minus the D rings but with more usable pockets). We will head over to another dive shop this weekend to see the Scout, Concept II and price out the DR travel wings. If you happen to think of any other back buoyancy BCs we should consider, post it here and we'll check them out.
Thanks again,
Steve & Margo

Just ran across a package deal from Scuba Supply that caught my eye. They are offering a Tusa Imprex Pro BC (weight integrated, back buoyancy, 1000 denier nylon construction, 38-43 lbs lift), a Tusa guage package (pressure, debth, temp, and compass), a Tusa RS230 regulator ( 1st stage ballanced piston, 2 hp, 4 lp, and octopus) and a carry bag all for less than $900. Immediately went searching for a review at Rodales, zip, nada, zilch.... So does anyone have any comments Pro or Con concerning TUSA? We hope to hit a Tusa dealer next weekend to put an eyeball on this gear.
Thanks,
Steve & Margo
"And the circle continues to widen"

Just wanted to say thanks to all the kind divers who took the time to give us a little feedback on the different BC's we were considering. We visited relatives in the Gainsville, Florida area this past weekend, and made the required visit to Divers Supply and dove three springs. In this forum we'll post a new thread giving our unprofessional review of the equipment we purchased. In the Travel forum we will post a brief blip on the three springs.
Thanks again,
Steve & Margo

Another one to check out is the Black Diamond BC by SeaQuest. I;ve been using a BD for at least a few hundred dives now and find it to be very comforatable. It adjusts easily to accomodate cold or warm water diving configurations, has plenty of D rings for lights, tools, reels, goody bags etc. Large pockets for any trash you might come up upon. Is made of a very tough 840 denier. And most importantly has a hard pack (back-pack) that's very gentle to your back. The BC feels solid and secure, almost as if the cylinder is part of the diver as apposed to the sloppy feel of soft back BC's. Check it out I'm sure you'll love it.

Mario

I have a Malibu that I have used 25 times or so. It is a good BC. The only drawback is the very small pocket, which is good for some mask defog, a tiny slate, and that's all.

The Transpac is a much better BC. It is more comfortable, more rugged, and is mounted to your body much more securely because it uses a 2" belt, not a cummberbund.

I'll sell you the Malibu if you want to try it. I'm going to put it on ebay soon. (It's an XL). It is like new. As I said, however, I like the Transpac much better.

Dave

I have personaly dived with a dive rite since before I even owned one. I have tried others but none beat DR. i have used DR's back plate and trans-pac II systems.

I switched to the TPII because I needed to get into and out of My bc more fluently when I worked with students.

I do not see my self buying another bc, I don't need to if I damage my bc, change out the damaged part and keep on diving.

The Dive Rite Transpac is great, it can be configured to almost any type of divig. I use mine with a set of travel wings and they work great, streamlined in the water and not to mention in your gear bag for travel. I have been diving with my transpac for over 2 years now and have not found anything to complain about.

Happy Diving

Back
Top Bottom