Travel BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like a BP/W with a really light plate is the way to go, or a really minimalist BC that still has nice features like metal Drings and ditch pockets, something like the Outlaw/Rogue/Litehawk.

As I'm in the "great white north" (seacoast NH), is DSS good with remote novices like myself?

As you progress in diving you may discover that proper weighting is better than ditchable weight pockets. A balanced rig should be weighted so that you can swim to the surface at any point in a dive without using your BC or wing. Weight should only be ditched in an emergency at the surface.

Seems like a BP/W with a really light plate is the way to go, or a really minimalist BC that still has nice features like metal Drings and ditch pockets, something like the Outlaw/Rogue/Litehawk.

As I'm in the "great white north" (seacoast NH), is DSS good with remote novices like myself?

just be prepared when you call @cool_hardware52 that he's in california, so factor the timezone in.
Also be prepared for him to discuss weighing the true value of the ~3lbs that you'll save by going to a non-ss plate and if that is worthwhile for travel

Could you say more? Why you like it?

It is light for travel, fills with air, and holds my weights. :wink:
That's all a warm water BC needs to do. Minimal means streamlined and back inflate gives good trim.
Don't need pockets and lots of metal d-rings. I like integral weights rather than belt but don't need 2 zillions pounds. Nor do I need a zillion pounds of lift. BP/Ws require weight belts or steel back plates to travel with.

As you progress in diving you may discover that proper weighting is better than ditchable weight pockets. A balanced rig should be weighted so that you can swim to the surface at any point in a dive without using your BC or wing. Weight should only be ditched in an emergency at the surface.
It's impossible to setup a rig permanently for all the configurations i encounter when I travel... Steel tank vs Al tank.... no wetsuit... or maybe a shorty... or maybe a 3mm full... or maybe 5mm. Am I diving in a current with a surface buoy... etc. Lots of reasons to add or subtract weight all the time that makes ditchable weight pockets a great thing and so much more comfortable than a weight belt.

BP/Ws require weight belts or steel back plates to travel with.
My backplate weighs five pounds. That's all I need for warm water so I don't need a weight belt unless I'm traveling to a cold water destination.

That's all a warm water BC needs to do. Minimal means streamlined and back inflate gives good trim.
Don't need pockets and lots of metal d-rings. I like integral weights rather than belt but don't need 2 zillions pounds. Nor do I need a zillion pounds of lift. BP/Ws require weight belts or steel back plates to travel with.
I don't use weights for warm water unless I'm in a wetsuit, then I only need five pounds. For cold water I wear the same drysuit I wear at home. I don't need to adjust my harness for either.

they accept weight pockets, trim pockets, cam band pockets etc. all just as well if not better than most jacket bc's because you can take them off if you don't want them.
Standard plates only have 5 d-rings. One on each shoulder, one on the left hip, and one on each side of the crotch strap. Crotch strap d-rings often removed if people are trying to save a bit of weight and aren't using them since they were intended for clipping off DPV's. I use them for other stuff when not diving with a dpv though

Yes, there is a lot of push for bp/ws on SB, and the reasons many use them are obviously valid, at least for them, and they are trying to share the thing they love. The problem is that bp/ws may not be best for everyone, especially for the couple dives a year rec diver that has no interest in tech diving, and likes the convenience of pockets, shoulder purges, integrated weights, etc., and not have to deal with learning a new rig after OW training. The truth of the matter is that despite the following on SB, I rarely have seen a bp/w on dive boats I have been on in the past eight years, and most divers do not have a clue about SB or the opinions of its experienced contributors. Buy and use what you like, but try as many different bcds as you can before buying so you only have to spend your money once. A good diver, like a good golfer can use any piece of equipment, and make it look easy.
Agree. I dove for a week in GC with an older very experienced photographer/diver along with the owner of the op. They both had Cressi Sub "poodle jackets". I would put that old guys trim, poise and motionless hovering up against anyone. Buy what you like based on how it fits, looks, features, flexibility etc. but I believe it won't automatically translate into better trim.

Last edited:

Exactly why I like the Litehawk. Best BC I have owned to date. Simple, comfortable, does everything I need a BC to do and excellent quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom