Travel Questions- Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morey000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Planning on taking my 13 year old daughter (she's got ~25 dives) on a nice little dive centric trip. Was looking for a simple place, with good diving, in relatively easy travel distance. Cozumel would work I guess, but was thinking Belize, and found this place- St. George's Caye Home - St.George's Caye Resort - Belize - St.George's Caye Resort - Belize (because it's closer in and easier to get to than some of the further cayes.

I've read mostly great, and some negative reviews on the little 12 room resort- which is normal. But not really much about the quality of the diving. Is Belize still good? or is the reef just not what it used to be?

i don't think that's going to work for you;

IS OUR ISLAND RESORT RIGHT FOR YOU?
A secluded adults-only retreat to unwind and “unplug” (no TVs, no phones, Wi-Fi in main lodge but not your room!)

I checked with the owners. Teen divers are welcome. they just don't want a bunch of little kids running around.

It's just that many of the other Caye resorts, only have transportation to them on certain days, and you need to be there by 9am and such. I'm unable to do that with my schedule and flight. So- this one is convenient and homey. Just wondering if the diving is any good. or, if there are others I should look at. or, just go somewhere else.

Wife and I are diving Belize in June. Everyone I talked to reported the reef diving is still great. Also check out Roatan. Some very affordable inclusive resorts with in house dive operations that take great care of you. Anthony's Key, Fantasy Island (more rustic) and CoCoView are good examples.

I'm working in Belize at the moment, dived the inner reef last week on a day run out of Belize City. The reefs are very much alive and well, teeming with life. Not been out to St George's Caye thus far, but heading out to Caye Caulker tomorrow which is very relaxed and has some good dive centres I've been told. The diving is pretty much all orientated around reef diving. The inner reefs are very good for less experienced divers - they peak around 8m in depth, and then have a small plateau in the 20-25m region before the wall free-falls off to 60+m.

I'm aiming to dive out of Caye Caulker and San Pedro over the easter weekend and pick up as many different sites as I can so more than happy to provide some feedback afterwards a 'live update' if you will lol.

Anyone coming by Belize to dive please feel free to drop me a line, see if we can jack up a dive together - be great to actually meet some of you guys!!!!

thanks for the good words on the inner reefs. and, I'll check out the Anthony's, Fantasy Island and CoCo view suggestions. I'm also looking at Ramon's on Ambergris, as transportation there is straightforward and the town will offer choices. beach looks good there as well.

We were actually looking at Ambergis as our Belize destination but in looking at it my wife got an advertisement for Aggressor (Belize III) and we booked that instead.

Safe travels and safe diving!

Status update: The Roatan places looked perfect, but too hard to get to for me. And I was surprised, that all of those cute places out on the cayes were mostly sold out! Just booked the last room (or so my travel agent claimed) at Ramon's Village resort on Ambergris.
Not nearly as 'out of the way' as some of the tiny little Cayes, as it's in San Pedro, but they'll offer everything we need, and the package price was very reasonable. Looks like a good dive operation and nice rooms.

http://ramons.com

I'm sure my 13 year old daughter will love it.

Roatan is definitely a little bit of travel. Coming out of Phx it isnt alot further than Belize. Having gone thru both Houston and Dallas I much prefer Houston.

Hopefully you will enjoy the Belize trip. Ill keep an eye out for the report! Safe diving!!

Back
Top Bottom