Travel Questions- Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've just (yesterday) been out with Belize Diving Services from Caye Caulker. Its a short water taxi ride from both San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, and Belize City on the mainland (essentially the Belize - San Pedro taxi just stops at Caye Caulker lol). The Caye itself is massively quieter that San Pedro, and has a much better atmosphere - there aren't any clubs, but there are plenty of bars to chill out in. Accomodation wise it has everything from luxury hotel type places, down to billy-basic rooms. I paid BZ$50 (25 USD) for a last minute.com room on Easter Friday. It had a clean bed, shared bathroom and a lock on the door, and I was overcharged for tshort notice at Easter lol. To be honest, that's all I needed as was only intending to eat, have a few drinks, sleep, then dive.

The dive operator was fantastic. Arrived at the centre for 0500, breakfast was almost ready - toast, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit and cereal was on offer. When booking the dive they ask what equipment is needed, and also your rough sizes. All the kit was laid out on the boat deck ready to be checked, and they had spares set out as well. I slept through the journey out to avoid my hideous sea sickness, but it was very pleasant by accounts, and the crew maintained a friendly and approachable attitude. The brief was accurate, to the point, and bi-unit (metric and imperial to avoid any confusion). Had the Great Blue Hole to ourselves, which was great. A short surface interval took us to the next dive site which was well over an hour underwater. Sharks galore there, along with beautiful coral, free-swimming morays, and shoals and shoals of fish. Lunch - Barbeque chicken, tomato pasta and sodas, was had on Half Moon Caye, where the guides proved just as knowledgeable about the wildlife on the nature reserve.
The last dive of the day was another wall drift, with turtles, rays, morays and even more. Again over the hour underwater, even with 'tourist divers' sucking it down like there was no tomorrow lol.

I would thoroughly recommend diving with them - a sense of humour, good banter, good knowledge, and a very relaxed (but safe) style of dive operation. Really made it one of the best operators I've used in the world.

PS If you dive the Blue Hole with them you get a free t-shirt from the shop as well (your choice too!!!).

hey dirkadirk, IMNSHO a 13 year old with 25 dives probably isn't ready for the Blue Hole day trip. :p Let's not even mention the dive. 5 a.m.!! Most teens would be like "NOT!"

In any event, the OP and his daughter have already booked at Ramon's, which I'm sure will please her.

morey000, I hope you're aware that you have to get from the international airport to the island of Ambergris Caye, either by boat or puddle jumper?
I realize you've already made your choice this time out but next trip, you might want to re-consider Roatan. Once you're on Roatan, it's just a bit of a drive to most places.

I love both. I've been to Belize 23+ times and Roatan 7-8? I've actually lost count and I'll be back in San Pedro in May. My home away from home.

Have a wonderful time.

hey dirkadirk, IMNSHO a 13 year old with 25 dives probably isn't ready for the Blue Hole day trip. :p Let's not even mention the dive. 5 a.m.!! Most teens would be like "NOT!"

In any event, the OP and his daughter have already booked at Ramon's, which I'm sure will please her.

morey000, I hope you're aware that you have to get from the international airport to the island of Ambergris Caye, either by boat or puddle jumper?
I realize you've already made your choice this time out but next trip, you might want to re-consider Roatan. Once you're on Roatan, it's just a bit of a drive to most places.

I love both. I've been to Belize 23+ times and Roatan 7-8? I've actually lost count and I'll be back in San Pedro in May. My home away from home.

Have a wonderful time.

Yea I saw that they had booked Ramon's, however there are several other people watching this thread so thought I would put up anyway, so hopefully everyone could get some ideas for their next trips.

I'm curious to know why you think she might not be ready? The dive op ran two different dives there - a 40m to the stalactites in the cave, and a 21m max (they didn't actually go below 20) for those who couldn't or wouldn't go deeper. IMO, if she is a qualified diver she is qualified to dive to her depth rating, and a current-less, clear and encircled site is about as benign as it could get. Also, if teenagers want to go on a diving holiday, then they need to suck it up to make the boat lol. Just my opinion as a parent and Scout leader though. I never let any of my kids get away with ducking out of something they wanted to do because they cba to get out of bed lol

Safe diving guys

I am going with my family to Belize (San Pedro) and staying at Athens Gate. I JUST received my certification so I am pretty new, which means my diving will be pretty sedate. I am not interested in going to the Blue Hole on this trip, though I might some time in the future. Can anyone here recommend a good dive company? I am planning on probably two 3 tank dive trips while I am there, and maybe more depending on my wife's tolerance :)

Island Divers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom