Travel with SK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Bear

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'm taking a trip with my SK. I'm trying to decide if I want to put it in checked luggage or try to take it as carry on. If I put it in checked luggage I'll have it in a Storm Case. As carry one I would use a soft sided duffel.

I'm reluctant to trust the airlines with my beloved SK. I've had two laptops trashed by already. To be blunt, I just don't trust the US Airline industry.
:furious:

Any comments?

Hey DB,

I just wrote an article about packing for technical diving for ADM's E-zine. (If you haven't signed up for it yet, here's the link Log In and it's free.)

Frankly, getting a rebreather onto an airplane in carry-on might be tough although I have honestly never never heard any stories about that one way or the other.

Assuming you could get it through security, there is then the problem of it actually fitting in the overhead bin. Each airline has a links page that details its size limits, that would be worth checking out because it might make the decision for you.

Also, airlines have begun publishing weight limits for carry on bags. In my experience for the most part they are not actually enforcing them --yet. I do know at some airports there are now (ominous) scales at the security area. That might be a factor.

In the ADM E-zine article I wrote are some links to resources pages that might provide some helpful information. Perhaps the most important information is which airports you will be flying to, through and from. The track record of each airline at specific airports is important.

For example, if you are flying through Philadelphia on USAir, there is a very good chance you will have a bag delay.

One thing I try to do is avoid airports with lousy bag delay records.

I know the feeling about checking gear. As a photographer, I don't have any choice because the camera gear has to be with me. Everything else is checked --almost always overweight and often with an extra bag.

Hopefully this has been helpful.

Jeff

I have travelled with a sport kiss as carry on and a meg. The only difference is a SK is below the 40lb limit without tanks the meg is higher. Just don't let the stewardess help you with lifting the bag into the overhead. No one ever checks the weight of carry on. Either RB will fit in a travel-pro suitcase which is legal carry on size

I've had my carry on weighed very few times but that is quite a bit more than never. Just my experience. Have you considered a hard sided case and then just check it?

Back
Top Bottom