Traveling with a spare air/pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone traveled on JetBlue with a spare air/ pony bottle? According to their website "scuba tanks" are listed prohibited for both carry on and checked baggage yet the TSA website seems to indicate they are allowed if the valves are removed and the tank remains open. Shipping the tank (6cuft.) is not an option as the cost is over $100 and the customs clearance time is unpredictable. In the past I had traveled AA which allowed the tank.

This came up in another thread recently. If you put it in your checked bag, no one but TSA will know it's there, and as long as it's empty with valve removed, they don't care.

Even in carry-on nobody from Jet Blue will know. It's entirely a TSA issue. I travel with one or two ponies every trip. Jet Blue, United, Delta, American, etc. Never a problem. I do keep a copy of the TSA reg in with the bottles just in case.

I keep them in my carry-on because I can remove the threaded plug just before hitting security and replace it as soon as I'm through. That way nothing can get into the tank.

I've got fill adapters for both filling from a fill station or from another tank. I've never had a problem getting a fill. They never even checked the VIP or Hydro dates. These days I just fill them myself.

Even in carry-on nobody from Jet Blue will know. It's entirely a TSA issue. I travel with one or two ponies every trip. Jet Blue, United, Delta, American, etc. Never a problem. I do keep a copy of the TSA reg in with the bottles just in case.

I keep them in my carry-on because I can remove the threaded plug just before hitting security and replace it as soon as I'm through. That way nothing can get into the tank.

I've got fill adapters for both filling from a fill station or from another tank. I've never had a problem getting a fill. They never even checked the VIP or Hydro dates. These days I just fill them myself.
How tight do you tighten the valve? Do you carry a wrench with you or are they just hand tight?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom