Traveling with dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will occasionally get an extra look at my computer. But I have never had any problems.......except for the time that I forgot my dive knife was in my regulator bag:rofl3::rofl3:

And I do believe in carrying on my reg and computer. Everything else is not too inconvenient to rent.

You may not, other experienced travelers prefer to and have what they consider good reasons. To each their own.

Yes, you must always consider the source.

I only put my regulators, dive computer, & UW housing in my carryons.......Usually not much is said but @ times they have pulled them out & asked what's this(referring to the regulators
)........It really depends on who is doing the looking...

There is no real good reason to carry them on.

Experienced dive travelers do not.

I did some searching/reading on this subject before I traveled with my new computer recently. It seems that other than the $$ Value and getting your baggage lost, some computers can pick up problems with the (de) pressurization in the hold.

In order to reduce the pressure difference between the outside and the inside of the aircraft (to reduce the effect of a explosive decompression at altitude) the cabin is normally de-pressurized to the equivalent of about 8000' above sea level. My understanding is that some aircraft types de-pressurize the hold to an even higher altitude equivalent. This can apparently play havoc with (some) computers and render them problematic.

There may be some logic in taking the computer as carry-on after all, as a matter of "rather safe than sorry", I do.

Best Regards
Richard (Riger)

I tell them there are scuba regulators in the bag before it goes through the x-ray, I carry both mine and hubby's so it REALLY looks like a mess. Never had a problem. Hubby carries the camera in a Pelican case and it gets swabbed every time we go through but I don't remember it ever being opened.
Ber :lilbunny:

There may be some logic in taking the computer as carry-on after all, as a matter of "rather safe than sorry", I do.

Absolutely true- take your computer on board. Absolutely.

Along with any percscription mask or camera. Pad and check the housings.

But regulators? And as the OP listed... snorkel ?

Hubby carries the camera in a Pelican case ...

To my point exactly. Why hand carry a heavy bulky case that is designed soley for the purpose of being checked through? If you want to hand carry cameras (and a great idea it is), put them in a simple soft-sided padded camera bag.

Carry little. Arrive refreshed.

I did some searching/reading on this subject before I traveled with my new computer recently. It seems that other than the $$ Value and getting your baggage lost, some computers can pick up problems with the (de) pressurization in the hold.

In order to reduce the pressure difference between the outside and the inside of the aircraft (to reduce the effect of a explosive decompression at altitude) the cabin is normally de-pressurized to the equivalent of about 8000' above sea level. My understanding is that some aircraft types de-pressurize the hold to an even higher altitude equivalent. This can apparently play havoc with (some) computers and render them problematic.

The flat floor between passenger and cargo hold in a commercial airliner is not a pressure resisting structure.

Last fall I was traveling for business. I packed my laptop computer in a padded computer case, put the computer case in a padded backpack, then placed the backpack in a large duffelbag, surrounded by clothes. I checked the duffelbag at the ticket counter.

When I reached my destination, I discovered that the top left corner of the monitor was severely mis-shapen due to what must have been a blunt impact with a concrete floor. I know TSA was responsible, as they were kind enough to leave their place card closed in the laptop. Apparently somewhere enroute, they decided to hand search my bag. They removed the laptop entirely from all the protective bags, and then dropped it onto a concrete floor. Nice folks.

Based on this experience, I do not trust TSA with my life support equipment. I carry-on my dive computer and my regulator.

Occasionally the folks at the xray station will call me over for a brief chat:
"What's this?"
"A regulator."
"What does it regulate?"
"Air. I am going scuba diving."

I hand carry my computer (popped out of the console) and camera in the housing in a back pack. I pack the computer in my carry on. I get the camera (strobe) checked every trip. When I get to the small plane where they check your carry on, I slip my computer out of the carry on and take it on board and keep my back pack on my back.

I check the rest of my dive gear and get a little concerned that it's not secured when I go to a foreign country. I have used zip ties but that will only slow them down a bit. I just learned about "TSA locks" and will get two. That should slow them down a little more.

I've been to the Caymans, Bahamas twice, Equador (Galapagos Islands) and Canada (Pt. Hardy) and not lost anything yet. I'll have the locks before I go to Egypt in the fall.

Sorry if this looks like bragging. I just wanted to say I've been lucky so far with my checked baggage. I've also not paid an excess baggage fee but with the new 1 bag per passenger, that will end.

I packed my laptop computer ..blunt impact with a concrete floor... I carry-on my dive computer and my regulator.

Never whack a concrete floor with any computer. A good rule.

With a regulator, you may well leave a nick in it (the floor) , but you're unlikely to hurt the "life support equipment".

diverLS:
sorry if this looks like bragging. I just wanted to say I've been lucky so far with my checked baggage.

Nope. Just looks like experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom