Traveling with freediving fins..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to Bonaire at the end of June for two weeks.

I'm wanting to take my C4 carbon freediving fins with me, does anyone know if I can take them with me in a bag in the cabin?

or do I have to check them?

thanks

Jack

I carried my fins on our bonaire trip.. Just used bungee cord to strap them together.. no bag, but now I usually check them through. On a trip to Mexico on the return, they tried to make me check them but I was able to talk them out of it... After that, I just check them, that way I know they're packed right.. Also.. If I know I'm doing a lot of travel or backpacking along the way, I'll take the cressi garas.. no worries there. they'll never break.

with the cressi's I've even just strapped them onto my large backpack on the outside.. I used a bag from a collapsable chair.. those <$20 chairs that fold open.. the bag was a perfect fit.

I've never tried carrying on, since I have to check my dive gear anyway. My guess is that whether you're allowed on the plane with them or not will vary with each gate agent.

I have a 36" rolling duffle by High Sierra that has a drop-down bottom section. I put my Cressi Garas there and put my wetsuit in there for cushioning. So far so good.

It may simply be more convenient to check your long bladed fins in. Pack them real nice, cushioning with your wetsuit is probably a good idea. Check out some of these bags I found that I'm considering for the use of carrying my freediving gear:

Stahlsac Mesh Duffel Bag. 36" long x 14" x 14", long enough for Cressi Gara 3000LDs unless you are a 46/47 (overall length = 92.5 cm/(2.54 cm/inch) = 36.5 inches) Great for putting all your gear in and dunking in fresh water. Priced under 30 dollars! I think I'll settle for this one:
Buy Stahlsac mesh duffel bag W136 with reviews at scuba.com

Another cool bag I found: Oceanic Meridian Gear Bag - may be better suited for traveling. Will also fit larger sized long-bladed fins. Dimensions: 38" x 17" x 9" Priced at 29.99 at Scuba Discounters:
Oceanic Meridian Gear Bag

Have a bitchin' time on your trip! :bang: :snorkels:

be careful packing those big bags.. it's very easy to reach the maximum allowable weight limits on luggage and they don't let it slide like they used to.

Why don't you just wear them when you board the plane ?
Also, in the unlikely event that you have to ditch at sea you will already be geared up.

I pack mine in my gun bag and check the whole thing :wink:

Rachel

lol james croft that's really clever ;-)!

I'd love to see the TSA workers faces when they watch me attempt to go through security...

I ended up buying this bag

Martin Stepanek

thanks!

Just walk backwards through the screeners and it will go faster.

Back
Top Bottom