Traveling with Kids to Roatan: Risky?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maya'sMim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I posted a question about babysitting services on the Bay Island community yesterday and the responses have made us think twice about a trip we're in the process of booking.

We dived last June in Cozumel and took our then 9 month old with us. We hired a sitter while diving and the vacation was literally perfect.

We've always dreamt of diving Rotan and just came across a phenomenal deal (airfare and hotel) that would have us staying at Fantasy Island resort.

Several of the posters warned us about the Malaria risk and after reviewing the CDC website it seems that Coz has the same risk as Roatan.

Have any of you brought your children on dive vacations to Roatan? If yes, can you tell me if you thought the risk was worth it? We don't have family who can watch her while we dive, and frankly we want her to be a part of our vacation. That said, we don't want her to contract Malaria either.

Any thoughts/advice from a woman's perspective would be greatly appreciated!

I never took my children to Roatan, but lots of other places.

This is only the beginning, I'm sure you realize.

The list of worries grows and grows. I would ask the pediatrician to put the risk in a context you can relate to. (As compared to driving, etc) If the numbers are less than risks you already are taking....well, might as well take her.

My kid's father is a pediatric surgeon and a NYC boy and pretty risk aversive, we had a few conversations about this sort of thing.

I suggest using mosquito nets at night, bottled water, and common sense precautions.
Use your radar with babysitters, my number one rule is "you pick them" don't let them pick you. For this reason, housekeepers I hit it off with made me feel the most comfortable, as opposed to "lists" compiled of people "picking you". Make the odds work in your favor.

Traveling with a known sitter is a great option too.

You want to teach your kids to enjoy life. I tried not to listen to the hand wringers too much. Sometimes taking the long view is helpful. Having adventuresome, confident kids is the best protection there is.

It is a very personal decision. I know quite a few parents who won't even fly together, for example. I can't relate because the risk is less than say, driving together in a car.

It's refreshing to read a responce like this , Thank You

__

I have a friend that bought some property over there on the beach, she visits there about every 2/3 months because she is having a house built. But everytime she comes back she looks like she was dinner for the mosquitos, She said she has tried everything but nothing seems to keep them away. She has told us that the mosquitos are really bad even during the middle of the day. But she says it's worth it because the diving is great. She has also said she never drinks the water only bottled and she will not eat anything grown over there unless it is cooked? never asked her why. She has asked us if we wanted fly over with her many times, but we have always said no just because we have two boys 7 and 9 and I just don't want to take that risk.
The boys are happy right here in the Keys and I can't see putting them in harms way just because I want to dive Roatan not worth it I think.

I'm going to Roatan in May and I asked both my boys (10 and 13) if they wanted to go. They said no :11: but I would have taken them anyway. You just need to take the necessary precautions. My girlfriend just got back from Africa with her 13 year old daughter. They all got sick at least once while they were there. They were on a safari. They still said it was a great vacation.

In terms of the babysitter. I always brought a babysitter with me, especially at your baby's age. She can't talk to tell you what is going on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom