Traveling with your camera? Cases/bags??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a Thinktank Airport TakeOff Airport TakeOff™
I put my housing & body for my cropped sensor dslr, 2 ports, viewfinder, 2 strobes Batteries and laptop in it. Fits in even the smallest overheads in Indonesia. I will throw it on my back if attendants are looking for bags to check so it looks smaller. Roll it in every other airport situation. I use a smaller backpack for lenses and other misc. stuff. Check a hard case for big dome port and other breakables, including the regulators.

I use hard plastic luggage, like a Samsonite. I do not want to walk though a country with an expensive looking case.

I use a big case and check pretty much everything, only carrying on my camera body and lenses. Everything else is checked.

Going to SE Asia, often the carry-on weight limit is 7kg/15lb and is sometimes enforced pretty strictly, or not - depending on the agent and maybe what cabin you're sitting in. When we flew economy to Indonesia, my carry on was weighed multiple times. The following year we flew business to the Maldives and it never touched a scale. Both trips on Singapore Air out of LAX.

One thing you can try, if flying in a group, is check in while friends watch your carry on then trade out and let them check in. This worked for us a few times. They only see a small laptop bag and small backpack for two people.

Back
Top Bottom