tray/arm query

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDunbar

Registered
Reaction score
Now that I've been told I'm getting a full refund for my Epoque strobe, I'm trying to figure out exactly what I should be going with as far as the tray/arm, etc. I'm planning to get the YS90dx in exchange, and want to order the Fisheye tray and arm for my Oly C5050/015. Should I also be ordering an Infinity arm, or is that being redundant if I order the YS90dx setup?

One more question. Have you found that it's better to store the WAL on the top or bottom of the camera when you're not using it? On the bottom it seems to throw the weighting off, and with my small hands I almost have to hold the housing with 2 hands, not matter what. (Usually I use 2 hands, but sometimes when you're on a night dive...) Is it better to store the WAL on top? Right now I have the Epoque WAL, which seems to be quite a heavy lens -- but maybe they all are, and it screws into a slotted Storr stay on the bottom of the camera.

Not being totally thrilled with Epoque right now due to the strobe situation, I don't know if I should punt on their WAL, too. I noticed a little blurring around the corners with the Epoque WAL. But again, maybe they all do that to a certain extent.

If any of you have something to add, I'd love to hear (read) it.

I recently added a WAL to my setup. IMHO placing it under the tray upside down is a bad location as it may get dinged or fall out of the lens dock.
A lens dock is a must. A leash on the lens to the dock is a bigger must.
I attached a Plexiglas strip on top of my handle and attached the lens dock to it.

setup2.jpg

If you haven't done so already I suggest you place corresponding marks on your housing lens port ring and the housing in a spot that you can see every time you mount and un-mount the WAL. This will allow you to check and make sure the housing lens port ring has not un-threaded with the WAL.

Great tip. Thanks! Suggestions like this is why this forum is so great.

SD...here's a photo of my PT-15 and Fisheye tray with infinity arm. I've added some length to my arm. Gilligans photo show the length that comes with the tray.

aak.jpg

Dee, how do you like the flexible arm compared with something like the ULCS arms?

SDunbar:
Dee, how do you attach your WAL?

Do you mean where do I mount the lens dock? On this rig, I have to tie-wrap it to the base of the arm, and I turn it to face me to protect the lens. I'll be testing that position on our trip in April but it seems like it will work out fine.

warren_l:
Dee, how do you like the flexible arm compared with something like the ULCS arms?

I really like them. You can move them easily into whatever position you need yet they are stiff enough to stay in position, even with a large strobe. I've never used the ULCS arms underwater but moving them into positions topside was stiff and there were a couple of positions I couldn't quite get the strobe into. I suppose if you had more sections, that wouldn't be an issue, not sure.

I've been using the flexible arms for about 5 years. First with double strobe and my old MMIIex rig and now as a single strobe on the second Oly rig and I've never regretted buying them. Another thing I like is they are easy to pack, either break them apart into smaller pieces or curl them the way they fit the best. The best part is they only cost $69 for about 18" length from Light and Motion, called Infinity arms.

You can buy Loc-line parts from:
http://www.modularhose.com/

They have them in black.
A 3/4" segment pack is $7.47 + shipping.
There are 2 segments in the pack, each with 7 joints.

They also have the base part and more.

Dee:
I really like them. You can move them easily into whatever position you need yet they are stiff enough to stay in position, even with a large strobe. I've never used the ULCS arms underwater but moving them into positions topside was stiff and there were a couple of positions I couldn't quite get the strobe into. I suppose if you had more sections, that wouldn't be an issue, not sure.

I've been using the flexible arms for about 5 years. First with double strobe and my old MMIIex rig and now as a single strobe on the second Oly rig and I've never regretted buying them. Another thing I like is they are easy to pack, either break them apart into smaller pieces or curl them the way they fit the best. The best part is they only cost $69 for about 18" length from Light and Motion, called Infinity arms.

That flex arm system sounds intriguing, especially for the price. So how does it mount to your strobe unit? I'm assuming you still need some sort of arm adaptor for that. Plus of course the fibre optic cable if I'm going to go with the Inon D180.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom