Tray/Strobe Options for A620 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kirgan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

To try and keep my initial costs down I am planning on getting the canon housing for my A620. I want to make sure I have a housing that I can use the internal flash for some macro shots. I am aware of the Ikelite housing, but it covers the internal flash from what I have read and I don't want to have buy the full underwater ikelite tray, strobes and strobe arms right now. But in the future, I know I will eventually want to grow my setup to include at least one strobe - if not two.

So, when the time does come for me to consider that, does anyone know if there is any tray to mount the canon A620 housing & a strobe on or will I end up having to get the Ikelite housing, tray, strobe & strobe arms in the future?

I have been doing a lot of searching here and online, but I haven't found anything. I did find a company that makes what I am looking for with other Canon housing, but not yet for the A620 using a canon housing.

Thanks,

--Mike

not having seen the canon housing in person, but is the white square infront of the internal flash a "cover" to black out the flash, or a diffuser, to diffuse the insta-bright back-scatter you would get from internal flash use?

being an opaque white, i'm thinking its a diffuser, to help prevent back-scatter, and as such would be fine to use. the canon housing is made for this camera, and is rated to 40m, the only other draw-back is it might not take external strobes? (but if the strobes react to slave modes, they would be fine when triggered by the internal flash?)

The cover you speak of is used as a diffuser. I have been told that as long as you use that, the internal flash still works well for macro shots. I'm not sure how well the internal will work for other shots, but I guess I will find out.

I know with the Ikelite housing and tray with the DS-125 or DS-50 strobes can work with the A620 in Manual mode. They are triggered by the internal flash according to the Ikelite web site. I am hoping someone knows of a tray & strobe that works with the Canon housing, so I don't have to go with the extra expense of Ikelite (although I know Ikelite is probably better).

-Mike

I'd be interested to know as well Kirgan, plan on buying a strobe for my A610 in the Canon housing in the near future.

For what it's worth, I recall seeing on adorama a DS-50 kit with tray, arms, manual control that was said to fit Canon, Nikon and Olympus housings.

I have the A620 and WP-DC90 housing. I have used both the Sea & Sea DX Stay and YS-25 Auto as well as ULCS (more costly) arms and a YS-90DX. As a starter the DX Stay and YS-25 are good. It has a velcro mask that you put over the internal flash that connects to the flash with a fiber optic cable.

Thanks all!!!

I will check out those tray/strobe options for my the Canon A620 housing.

--Mike

I want your strobe :D :)
Picture1.jpg

On a serious note i'm thinking of getting the ike ds-50, with the manual controller and Ike tray..
Do you attach a bit of velcro over the flash, so the strobe knows when to fire??

No, I leave the internal flash uncovered; the EV controller is aimed just behind the internal flash and triggered the strobe consistently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom