Treat every dive like a tech dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Many a diving question I've pondered, not just here but in real life, has been shut down with some variation on "that only matters for tech dives." I'm struggling to understand the mindset. To me it's like getting in your car and leaving your seatbelt off because the weather's nice and you're not driving fast.

Most of the equipment, training, and practices that make a cave or deco dive safer is going to improve safety for looking at the pretty fishies at 60 feet. The risk of a rapid ascent from "recreational depths" is not zero. Why not think about gas planning, and carry a second primary regulator, and focus your mind on solving problems in a way that allows a deliberate ascent?

Any dive can turn into a solo dive. Any dive can turn into a tech dive (no immediate access to the surface because of entanglement or the needs of a buddy). Many dives, e.g. wall dives, can turn into deco dives, with just a momentary loss of buoyancy control.

In other activities that have inherent hazards, the norm is to expose people to information and training that is beyond the boundaries of what they can do without qualified supervision, while still reinforcing the boundaries.

I completely agree. Going diving with the mindset that you can cut corners because you are a recreational diver is very dangerous...

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

I disagree with the seat belt analogy. I don't think anyone is suggesting skipping any of the basics that are considered good practice for rec dives, which I would say is the equivalent of the basic good practice of seat belts. But I don't think a 5 point harness is necessary when I run to the grocery store. Safer in theory, maybe, but meaningfully so? No, and more of a nuisance than it's worth. Certainly one should never be sloppy, and learning more is always good, but there's a continuum here.

Some people argue that while the chances of getting bent on Nitrox may be less, the risk is already so low it's not statistically meaningful, so one shouldn't really consider Nitrox to increase safety. I think the same applies to looking at the pretty fishies at 60 - perhaps going whole hog (no pun intended) would reduce risk a tiny bit statistically, but I don't know that it's meaningful.

So I am diving in 25 ft of water in the local quarry. I know that my NDL exceeds what I can do with my HP 100. My planning is pretty basic. Probably will not bring my pony. May not bring all the signaling devices unless I am going to practice. Now if I am diving offshore in 100 ft, I will carry the pony and I will bring the reel and larger SMB, etc.

I don't think you need to treat every dive like a tech dive ... tech diving mentality, motives, and best practices are often quite different than what a recreational diver needs to do and know.

What a diver needs to do, at any level, is to understand not just the "what" of their training, but the "why" ... don't overestimate your abilities, don't take the risks lightly, and don't cut corners.

If you follow your training ... assuming you were trained properly ... you should be able to mitigate the risks well within acceptable limits ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Many a diving question I've pondered, not just here but in real life, has been shut down with some variation on "that only matters for tech dives." I'm struggling to understand the mindset. To me it's like getting in your car and leaving your seatbelt off because the weather's nice and you're not driving fast.

Most of the equipment, training, and practices that make a cave or deco dive safer is going to improve safety for looking at the pretty fishies at 60 feet. The risk of a rapid ascent from "recreational depths" is not zero. Why not think about gas planning, and carry a second primary regulator, and focus your mind on solving problems in a way that allows a deliberate ascent?

Any dive can turn into a solo dive. Any dive can turn into a tech dive (no immediate access to the surface because of entanglement or the needs of a buddy). Many dives, e.g. wall dives, can turn into deco dives, with just a momentary loss of buoyancy control.

In other activities that have inherent hazards, the norm is to expose people to information and training that is beyond the boundaries of what they can do without qualified supervision, while still reinforcing the boundaries.

Sticking with the car analogy, a five point harness, a helmet, neck restraint, and a fire suit would make it even safer. Do you use those?

Overkill versus an acceptable level of risk is what it comes down to.

How about "Treat Every Dive Like a Rebreather Dive", as that's even MORE BETTER & STRINGENT. Let me guess you're response to that; "Rebreathers are Dangerous". Reality is, if you're a safe competent diver of ANY LEVEL, then you are just that. "Tech" has nothing to do with anything. Those that make a "Tech Dive", would be considered a "Tech Diver". Well guess what, Tech Divers are human, and make mistakes/errors/screw up too. Ego's get divers killed. Treat every dive for the dive that IT IS.

I can't say I agree with "treat every dive as a tech dive," but I do believe I understand what you're getting at.

. . .
Most of the equipment, training, and practices that make a cave or deco dive safer is going to improve safety for looking at the pretty fishies at 60 feet. . . .

If you believe this, maybe GUE is the agency for you. Sounds like their philosophy.

some of us just want to dive for fun and recreation with the least amount of equipment needed...that does not mean were unsafe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom