Tres Pelicanos and the Black tips at Palancar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gopbroek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The previously reported school of Juvenile Black Tips is still in residence at the southern to mid portions of Palancar. I have been diving with Tres Pelicanos for the last week (and what a great dive op they are) and on Monday morning we came across a school (6-9) of them. They were cruising back and forth between the Wall to the inside of the reef. Since then we went back yesterday and then dove it twice today (they are just to cool and we have been concentrating on them). Each time Servando, DM for Tres Pelicanos, has been an expert at tracking them down. They are still a little skittish around divers but in the early morning and again this afternoon when the number of divers were reduced they would mill about for 5+ minutes each time we came across then (around 4 times per dive). This morning we were able to get a 70 minute dive in and then this afternoon an 80. Also saw Spotted Eagle rays cruising the wall early yesterday morning.

Yes, they have been around for several weeks and we along with several other groups have also been seeing them regularly. We have some excellent video footage of them as well.

We saw them back in October. There were 8 in the group we saw. I have seen a few other shark reports the past few weeks. Lets lets hope they stick around for a while!

Very cool! Also, I have reservations to dive with Tres Pelicanos in March, so I am glad to hear you are enjoying diving with them. I have heard a lot of great things about their operation!

I hope they stick around through Feb. I still have only seen nurse sharks in my 120 or so dives in Cozumel.

Thnx for sharing. Video/pix ?

Yep those are the kids we saw, your photography is much better than mine though. They are a really cool experience to see up close!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom