Tricks and Tips that Save Pennies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I NEVER said it was mandatory, nor did I say every instructor will teach you anything. I also, on my way to becoming an instructor have taken courses from instructor's that I'd put to shame one on one, but they have the means to get me the card that allows me to "ADVANCE" Did I learn aqnything more than what I could have learned on my own??? I think not!! I think it is our duty to interview the instructor that you are having train you, and ask exactly what you will be getting for your money. Yes, it is true that SOME instructor's are in it only for the money, while other's are there for their student's! It is up to you as the student to determine which kind of instructor YOU will be giving YOUR money to. Also, some student's will take away different knowledge from the same class. You need to find an instructor that works for you. Before I put any money down on my technical training, I interviewed three different instructor's until I found the one I felt comfortable would teach me what I wanted/needed to know. Heck, the one I went with even allowed me to sit in on a classroom session, to check out his style. You wouldn't go out and buy a car without checking it out, or even giving it a test drive would you? Also, if I wanted to learn to drive racecar's I wouldn't go to Sears driving school, I'd go to Richard Petty's school of driving or someplace like that. It is YOUR duty to do a little research on the instructor/class that you will be enrolling in, so that you will come away with what you wanted to come away with. MY $.02

Another tip for saving money is to use high topped tennis shoes instead of expensive diving boots. I use Converse high tops in my wetsuit and my dry suit -- they look funny, and I get lots of comments, but they work and they last quite well (better than I expected).

Shore diving is key. And Southern California has some fabulous diving -- don't write it off!

Also, I don't know where you are in SoCal, but if you want to dive a lot, hooking up with a shop that offers an "all you can eat" program on air fills can save a lot of money. I know SDUA has one.

You can see by this thread there are those who had good AOW experiences and those who had bad AOW experiences. I had a good AOW experience. Take everyone's experience into consideration when you make your decision. If you do decide to take it then take your time in finding an instructor that will deliver the experience you're looking for.

As for CA diving... SHAME ON YOU! Get out there and dive! :p I'm teasing of course, but honestly I have to echo what others have said. CA offers some great diving that can be done right from the shore. Don't let boat prices put you off on diving your home state and getting some great experience.

As for saving money... When you DO start shore diving CA don't bother wasting money on a dive bag. Head to Wal-Mart or Target and get yourself a plastic bin big enough to fit your gear and pop it in your trunk. You can load all of your wet gear into the bin and it keeps your car from getting wet. If you're tired when you get home you can soak your gear in the bin and come back to wash it off after you've taken a nap. :)

Dive safe and have fun!

You can see by this thread there are those who had good AOW experiences and those who had bad AOW experiences. I had a good AOW experience. Take everyone's experience into consideration when you make your decision.

To be clear, I had a good AOW experience too. And I do recommend the course. Just realize that it's "Intro to Diving 102" and not really "advanced training."

Last edited:
AOW can be usless or a lifesaver. It depends on the instructor and where you dive. I had close to 100 dive with my OW. Several over 100'. My first dive after my OW check out was 131'. I had a poor instructor and it wasn't until later that I figured out who dangerous some of the things I did were. Some of the dive charters I now go on require an AOW or higher before they will let you on. They normal will let you know when you reserve your spot. Before you pay for a class find a couple of divers who already took the class and see what they say.

Second you can save a few pennys here and there but be carefulsome things are not worth it. I agree that no fog is worth the extra. I use 200ft vis. I do a few hundred dive a year and a bottle will last me three or four years. Your tuperware is a good idea. Just be careful.Things can get banged around on a dive boat and the lid can get knocked off. I know scubapro has a small dry bag for $8. Just be smart when you are shopping and ask differant dive shop if they can give you a break. I was in the keys last weekend and needed a new bag. They had one for $69. I talked to the shop owner and he gave it to me for $42.

Buy dry gloves, snap bolts and knives from marine supply stores...
Buy batteries online in case quantities...
Find a trustworthy and reputable place to have your gear serviced...
Research every purchase yourself, don't take dive shop employee's sales pitch as advice.
Cruise e-bay and forums for good deals on things you would probably buy anyway.

Just a few that have helped me =)

-B

To keep from losing your checked luggage with your scuba stuff in it, put a laminated 8 x 10 sheet listing your name, phone and address on it in your luggage just before you zip it shut. It's possible your string/thin strapped luggage tag will end up on the freight/baggage floor with the thousands of others that got torn off in processing.

Dive Pirate: Well spoken by an instuctor whose pocket money comes from inexperienced divers and puts down the same people. Less than 199 dives? That's the majority of divers.

Probably 85% of certified divers have less than 20 dives

I discovered several ways to save money diving, although a bit late. I worked at a dive shop for many years and bought all my new gear at cost. I later realized that the "tech" BC was nothing more than a poodle jacket with dozens of D-rings. I eventually bought a backplate and wing rather than a BC. Backplates are indestructable and will last a lifetime. Most BCs will need to be replaced after a few hundred dives or so. You can find Jetfins on Ebay. They are sturdy, last forever and cost a fraction of the trendy split fins on the market. I replaced the fin straps with bungees.
Aloha Shore Divers
Spit works just fine as a defogger. If you ever buy a DUI drysuit, take Lynne's advice. Tennis shoes are less than $20 while Rockboots are over $100.
Soft weights can be found at Big 5 for a lot less than dive shop prices.
Princeton Tec has a 9 watt LED light that's brighter than any halogen light and can be found at Pacific Wilderness for under $100. It's the next best thing to an HID canister light, without the extreme repair costs.
Because of the nutrient-rich water and upwelling, Palos Verdes has more invertebrate life than Catalina. I would rather make a beach dive in P.V. than Catalina any day. Laguna Beach, La Jolla, Malibu, Ventura and Santa Barbara counties also have some wonderful shore dives.
Scuba Shore Diving Region: USA West
BTW, I had nearly 300 dives before taking any further classes. I could have waited longer and still enjoyed my dives.

Skip AOW? I guess we were just waiting for someone to tell us that...

Everyone is entitled to their perspectives and here is mine. The certifications, CPR, speciality courses, written logs, etc are what a dive store owner or dive boat owner actually see's when a total stranger walks up and says here is money, will you take me diving. Granted, you sign a waiver that states they are not responsible for life or limb, but lets just say you were hurt or killed and you or your family files a legal claim for damages. The dive shop and/or boat owner does have to appear in court and present their case. I assure you that if you are a dive boat captain and someone has nothing to show you that they do not feel good about you diving off their boat. I suppose what I am saying is that you will find your road a lot smoother if you put as much dive history as you can on the table in front of a dive boat captain. Put yourself in the position of taking total strangers scuba diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom