tricks to make feet more buoyant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I completely understand your issues with your back. I have an extruded L5 - S1 disc that pushes on the sciatic nerve. I had the same problem as you, especially with my Apollo Bios. I wouldn't discount some of the advice given earlier. My fixes included, an extra tank cam band with weight pockets placed as high up on the tank as possible, lighter fins, a relaxed arch in my back (much easier and comfortable when trim is optimized), and as counter-intuitive as it sounds, adding a crotch strap to my BC, which stabilizes the weight and keeps trim consistent. FWIW, I've been able to eliminate the cam band/weight pockets.

Cant see this as much other than a trim issue. I normally dive dry with jet fins.
Before I switched to jets, I used atomic splits. (Ie. Lighter, and longer) I could never seem to get trim right, and feet felt heavy.
Ended up in a 45 degree angle in the water, and a splitting backache. (Also L5-S1 prolapse)
Swapped to Jets, and now have a horizontal trim and no backache.
Easy enough diving dry... where you can put air in feet...

Yup.. but I still dive with my jets with NO wetsuit. Just shorts... in freshwater pool, in the red sea,
Or in a 3mm in saltwater. Swapping between steel and al tanks. And when you consider the properties of jets vs atomic splits... this should be opposite...

So... Id work on trim... Even though thats not the answer you wanted.

I too have the same problem. I strapped some weights to my shoulders on the BC straps to try to help the problem. It did help but as you noted, I still had to fight it and if I relaxed in the water, my feet would sink almost immediately and the whole thing of trying to hold up my lead feet was killing my back. I ditched my TUSA fins and got some Atomic Smoke on the Water fins, which are positively bouyant and I am almost there. While it worked VERY well and I was able to remove the weights at my shoulders, I still need some bouyancy at my feet.
Ed

Get some X-S Scuba weight pockets like you use on a weight belt. Put them on your fin straps and stuff them with ping pong balls. How's that for creative and on topic?

Pete

Move two pounds to the tank strap - should and will resolve the issue. Worked for me.

Second option - use your glutes.

great video. lol thx for that.
it actually proves exactly what i was saying earlier about having to use the hams, glutes, and back muscles. unfortunately that is part of my problem. flexing those groups at the same time for the duration of a dive is pretty much an impossibility. so the idea is if i can add some lift to the feet to do the work instead of those muscles doing the work, i will be much better off. it may not be the accepted way of doing things, but it may be necessary in my case.

ps.....i think i would look pretty cool with the water wings around my ankles. especially if they were pink ones. lol

well we were in the pool tonight. tried changing a bunch of stuff but long story short is that we got pretty damn close. much better. will take some more tinkering to dial it in just right but i think we are on our way. thx for all the suggestions.
- used my old fins (lighter), used thicker boots, played with weight positioning - and the fellas loved my new pink water wings.......told ya they would be cool.

May try this...cut pieces of swim float and insert into foot pocket...Viola! This does make your rubber fins less negative.
Hope this help....Cheers everyone!

IMG_1357.jpgIMG_1358.jpgIMG_1360.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom