Tricky customer seeks Similan/Surin liveaboard for feb/mar 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingkiwi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

i currently work on a very well regarded liveaboard in OZ, hence the 'tricky' customer. I have high expectations and know what I'm looking for in a liveaboard, but would appreciate some feedback from passengers who have dived on trips in the area before.

I am looking for a mid-range liveaboard for around 5d/5n with Richieleu Rock a must on the itinerary. I am an experienced DM and i'll also be travelling with my OW boyfriend, although that shouldn't pose too much of a prob unless certain boats have min cert requirements?

I have heard from friends to head straight to the burma banks, but this may be out of our price range/time allowance and a lot seem to be booked out already! Any ideas?

So if anyone can recommend an operator who they have travelled with personally (agents- please feel free to comment, but please identify yourself as such in the post thanks) I'd love to hear some feedback. i'm interested in boats with excellent safety standards, great crew and interesting itineries, shore excursions also a bonus to keep the boy happy!

Thanks a lot

Richelieu Rock is in Thai waters.

The Burma Banks are a series of 5 submerged sea-mounts approximately 100 NM off the coast of Myanmar (Burma).

There are (as far as I know) no 5 day trips that include both Richelieu Rock and the Burma Banks.

I think it's also important to tell you that the "Burma Banks" offered OK to good shark diving until around 2003 or so. After 2003 most of the sharks had completely disappeared and boats stopped going there. Reef diving at the Burma Banks is nice on the drop-offs of some of the banks but soft corals and nice reef scenery does not start before 24 meter depth.

There is still some very nice diving in the Mergui Archipelago in Burma. There are hundreds of islands with beautiful reefs and tons of critters to explore.
Only a handful of dive operators combine trips with the Mergui Archipelago and Thai sites (like Richelieu Rock) in a single itinerary. Those trips are mostly longer trips though and quite expensive.

I've just booked the Junk for Feb after some good recommendations, but mainly from agents. AUD/USD rate very favourable right now making a bit more affordable.

Since you want a longer trip (54 days in stead of the standard 4 days) and are looking at something different, how about Oktavia? 5 days/5 nights and also Surin Islands included in the itinerary. Plus activities for non-divers, so your boyfriend could skip a dive and do something else in the mean time.

Mergui is IMO very much hit and miss, plus quite expensive as well.

I think you are going to find the Thai liveaboards very different to the top shelf trips out of Cairns both with the amenities and services on the boats and the way the diving is organized.

The Junk offers great value especially with the AUD/USD rates and 10% off for early bird bookings.

MV Mermaid II would also be a great choice, she is stable, comfortable, spacious, powerful and, of course, safe.

Your man will be fine with an Open Water licence but should do a Deep Adventure (at least) to qualify for the deeper dives (he can do this on board).

I would give Burma Banks a miss for all the reasons said already.

MA:
I've just booked the Junk for Feb after some good recommendations, but mainly from agents. AUD/USD rate very favourable right now making a bit more affordable.

I'd give Pol Pot a good recommendation for 30%! Only kidding, but divers' experiences are probably worth a bit more

I tried for divers responses and got none! Perhaps posting on a U.S., European or Aussie forum I may have had more luck. I also figure with the agents they are getting commission from whichever I go with, so what's the difference.

On the spot - curious have you been on Spirit Of Freedom or Mike Ball out of Cairns? They are pretty good. I can't imagine the diving could be any better organised. I have a feeling divingkiwi coudl be from one of these.

MA:
I tried for divers responses and got none! Perhaps posting on a U.S., European or Aussie forum I may have had more luck. I also figure with the agents they are getting commission from whichever I go with, so what's the difference.

On the spot - curious have you been on Spirit Of Freedom or Mike Ball out of Cairns? They are pretty good. I can't imagine the diving could be any better organised. I have a feeling divingkiwi coudl be from one of these.

Good point, most diver customers wouldn't be on Thailand SB. And the pros have their own favourites.

Never dived in Oz, going to next march though, sydney wrecks, not live-aboard stuff

In my limited experience you will struggle to find in Thailand similar standards to those I experienced on a mike ball live aboard.
Having said that the two live a board trips I have done in Thailand were both to a very good standard and massively cheaper than the Mike Ball trip I went on.
I dont want to make specific recomendations as my experience in this area of Thailand is limited and the live aboard trips were a number of years ago and things no doubt will have changed during that time.

You might want to do a search for past trip reports in this section.

Back
Top Bottom