Trilam Drysuit - How Much Weight To Carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manhattandiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Just bought a Bare Trilam HD Tech drysuit. This is my first drysuit and I'm wondering approximately how much weight I'll need to dive with it. I'm a size ML Short and will be wearing a T100 undergarment. When diving a single AL80 in a 3mm full wetsuit, I usually need around 8 lbs. of lead. Setting aside changes to other parts of my gear (tanks, valves, etc.), how much extra weight should I allow for the suit and insulation? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Do a weight check.

Start at about 16# - 18#, with your weight belt or pockets and mask and snorkel (if you like). Have someone help you and step off into medium tall water and let all the air out of your lungs. You should be about the top of your head. Adjust and repeat as necessary.

The best approach is to check your weighting after the dive with about, or less than 500psi in the tank.

Check out this link from the DUI site. It gives general guidelines on buoyancy with different insulations. It should be applicable to your dry suit as well.

DUI Thermal Guides for Dry Suit Diving / SCUBA

EDIT: the buoyancy stuff is toward the bottom of the article.

With my Nexgen bilam and a 200 gram undergarment I usually use 14-16 pounds depending on whether I am using a single tank with a aluminum backplate and SS STA or double aluminum 80's with a SS BP.

However, your mileage will vary, always do a weight check, several since this will be a first. I suggest a class. I didn't take a class but I had several drysuit divers helping me learn.

You may need to add some (4-6 pounds) if this is in salt rather than fresh.

Mike

Just bought a Bare Trilam HD Tech drysuit. This is my first drysuit and I'm wondering approximately how much weight I'll need to dive with it. I'm a size ML Short and will be wearing a T100 undergarment. When diving a single AL80 in a 3mm full wetsuit, I usually need around 8 lbs. of lead. Setting aside changes to other parts of my gear (tanks, valves, etc.), how much extra weight should I allow for the suit and insulation? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You should spend some time in a deep swimming pool first, before going to a quarry or the sea, with your drysuit.

Take your weights with you to the pool, and do a weight check there. Then add about 6 lbs to what you get to convert to salt water.

You need to squeeze out the air from the suit before you gear up with your tank. You normally do that by zipping up, then reaching up to your neck seal and pulling it open a little, while you squat down as low as you can, and then while still squatting, let go of the neck seal. Then stand back up. This will velcro your suit nicely to your body and squeeze out most of the extra air.

Back
Top Bottom