Trip Alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd guess most people who have a buddy that can satisfy a), b), and c) married him or her.

I'm fortunate enough to have found a buddy that matches your description, and haven't had to marry him - to the relief of both of our wives and children!

:shocked2:

I think solo trips really depend on where you go.
To me, Bonaire would not be a great place.
The whole Island is set up for 2 or more to a truck and shore dive.
Of course you could go boat diving there, but that would be a bit of a waste in my opinion.
I'd much rather be at a place that is set up for boat diving, as there is an automatic group feeling attached with it.
In the end though, you need to go diving when you need to go, and if no one that you know is available, then a solo trip is what you have. Just pick the place accordingly.

I did my 1st solo trip (Cozumel/ 1 week/land-based) August 2010, and although I was a bit nervous, it turned out better/smoother than I expected. (did 20 dives, 1 shore dive, 19 off a small boat)

I did do things to try to mitigate 'risk' , as where you're traveling solo it's up to you to deal with 'Murphy's Law' without the help of anyone else.

1) Cozumel is a non-stop flight for me, so less chance of getting screwed by weather, me or my luggage missing a connecting flight or getting separated....keep the air flight logistics as simple as possible.

2) I'd had the hotel/dive arrangements (and the flights too) all set up in advance by a LDS I trust, and that same dive shop has done that exact same trip (same hotel/dive op) many times themselves, so they had scoped everything out personally before hand and knew they wouldn't be sending me on some 'unknown' adventure.

3) as previously mentioned, at least to some extent, you'll pick up (or get adopted by) new friends.

4) I'd even suggest a liveaboard option for you, if you're all about the diving (versus the local tourist scene) you will be surrounded by a high % of hardcore divers (not too many newbies on liveaboards) who will all have a strong love of diving, who on average will be much more experienced than the average land-based diver you'll likely meet, making them better buddies/mentors for you.

5) I agree with the prior observation about having to watch one's bags at the airport while going to the bathroom though...that's one downside to solo travel.

I shopped around and my LDS had a better deal plus the added benefit that the Instructor from the LDS can service my Dive Rite if needed. We have a meeting before leaving to Cozumel (Scuba Club Coz. April 23-30 2011). The bad is that every buddy is pair up aready, the good is that I have my own room. Like several divers stated before is ALL about the diving. It is snowing right now in Milwaukee at the end of February it has been a looooong winter. Feel great! Can't wait.
Thank God for Scuba diving!!!

I shopped around and my LDS had a better deal plus the added benefit that the Instructor from the LDS can service my Dive Rite if needed. We have a meeting before leaving to Cozumel (Scuba Club Coz. April 23-30 2011). The bad is that every buddy is pair up aready, the good is that I have my own room. Like several divers stated before is ALL about the diving. It is snowing right now in Milwaukee at the end of February it has been a looooong winter. Feel great! Can't wait.
Thank God for Scuba diving!!!

SCC is an excellent trip. You don't have to worry much about the buddy system in Coz cause with the drift diving everyone is everyone's buddy at some point in time during the dive.

We were there in January and enjoyed our stay very much!

Back
Top Bottom