Trip cancellation claim denied, DAN guardian level policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kierentec

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello all,
I had a student recently suffer a non-diving accident (which is covered loss under the diving vacation cancellation benefit) and needed to cancel his trip to complete some training. DAN has denied the claim because the purpose of travel was for training. There is nothing in the policy that indicates training is excluded from the diving vacation cancellation benefits:

Per the guardian plan handbook:

DIVING VACATION means a trip, the main purpose and intent of which is to engage in a Covered Diving Activity on a liveaboard or at a diving resort or diving facility which offers scuba diving, where the Insured has either paid for or arranged diving activities in advance of embarking on the trip.

DIVING VACATION CANCELLATION BENEFIT – APPLICABLE TO A DIVING VACATION
If prior to the time and date of departure for a Diving Vacation, the
Insured Person or his/her Traveling Companion has suffered a Sickness or Injury that would substantially impair that person’s ability to dive and requires the Cancellation of the Diving Vacation, the Company will pay, up to the Benefit Limit, for Covered Losses that the Insured Person incurs as a result of such cancellation.
CANCELLATION means a Physician has recommended in writing, that due to the severity of the condition of the Insured Person or his/ her Traveling Companion, it is Medically Necessary that the Insured Person cancel the Diving Vacation. The Insured Person or his/her Traveling Companion must be under the direct care and supervision of a Physician.
COVERED LOSSES means any penalties, or forfeited nonrefundable, unused prepayments or deposits for diving, accommodations, meals or transportation incurred as the result of cancellation of the Diving Vacation.

Has anyone had a claim either approved or denied under these conditions?

Of course, I always recommend DAN insurance not only for diving accident coverage, but also to cover costs of cancellation or interruption due to illness or injury. I may have to start looking for other options for my students if this is true. But I can’t imagine that they have any grounds for actually denying this claim and this is just typical insurance company BS hoping the insured will just shrug their shoulders and say “OK”. I always thought higher than that of DAN, though…

Attachments

• DAN-NUFIC-Enhanced-Guardian-Handbook.pdf
    569.5 KB · Views: 86
He should have had travel insurance, not dive accident insurance. Bummer.

He should have had travel insurance, not dive accident insurance. Bummer.

Being over insured isn’t a bad thing, of course, but when the policy clearly states trip cancellation for this reason is covered, it shouldn’t be necessary.

Being over insured isn’t a bad thing, of course, but when the policy clearly states trip cancellation for this reason is covered, it shouldn’t be necessary.
It obviously does not clearly state that, although what is posted here is all 2nd and 3rd hand. Suggest you contact Denise Mulkey at DAN dmulkey@dan.org. She has been very helpful to me.

Back
Top Bottom